News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:46:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil Cooler  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
Oil Cooler
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:41:23 AM »
has anyone played around with the idea of running a remote Filter and oil cooler in their birds? I am curious as Someone recently posted considering a 3 core, I am debating on the same thing but am also curious if a 3 core with an engine oil cooler would add miles to the engine as well as lower the amount of work the water system has to deal with in the process. This is just a bit of brainstorming atm.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »
If the cooling system is in good condition, they do a great job of cooling an Eagle. The only reason I could see for an oil cooler is if the vehicle is used in harsh conditions like racing, high compression  or if a turbo is added. Too cool of oil isn't good on an engine. If you were to do it, make sure you install a thermostatically controlled bypass valve to make sure the oil gets up to temp before heading to the cooler.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
Thanks for that E.F. I figured that would be an issue. I just considering "Long term" additions that could prolong the engine life and improve on the water cooling ability. Even though I am not looking to make a HP build or a dedicated "Rally Racer" I would like the idea of having better cooling for my whole system, I do realize that a slightly higher oil pump would also help to be added as well, to handle the change in demand.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »
Here's a little info on oil cooling. It pertains to a Ford 2.3L but is some is somewhat universal. It is from this website: http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog/tech-section.pdf

"The oil pressure we recommend for most racing engines is 50 to 70 pounds hot at racing speed.
@7000 RPM
Maximum Oil Pressure 70 psi - Engine at racing temperature, throttle wide open.
Minimum Oil Pressure 50 psi - Engine at racing temperature, throttle wide open
Excess oil pressure does three things:
1. It wastes power.
2. It raises the temperature of the oil.
3. It puts extra strain on the oil pump drive components.
Oil Temperature
180-190 Good
250-260 Danger
285-300 Big Problems - Oil breaks down very quickly and soon will become vapor.

We don't like to see the oil temperature exceed 250 degrees and prefer to have the oil temperature stabilize
around 220 degrees.  An oil temperature gauge is a very good investment because it will show if you need to do something extra to cool your oil or keep it at a reasonable temperature.  Also if the oil temperature raises or jumps up more
quickly than normal, it can indicate eminent bearing failure.  Another thing to consider is that you don't want to run the oil
too cold - under 150 degrees.  The oil doesn't lubricate very well and foams very quickly.  To minimize oil related failures
it's important to warm the oil before running the car at high RPM and high horsepower levels."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:54:16 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Hawk258

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »
Thank you, I am sure this will help me make an informed decision when the time comes, and hopefully helps someone else

1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk