News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Beast has solid axle and rear disc at last!!!!!  (Read 4664 times)

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
The Beast has solid axle and rear disc at last!!!!!
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
well I wont lie, it got dangerous, after the initial 4 inch lift with ball joint spacers and a lowered front diff, it never really handled well, and finally all the a arm bushings were shot (not from the lift, but from 30 years and 200,000+ miles I'm sure) so instead of replacing it all for hundreds of dollars, instead I swapped in a 1988 D35 rear with 3.55 gears and a set of disc brakes off a 96 ford crown-vic, and a 1988 D30 (3.55) front solid Disco from the same jeep. I even re-used the jeep four link set up, but Ill tell you its a lot of welding, I had to build a new sub-frame and spring perches to get it to fit (mine had some serious cancer going anyways, the left front upper a arm brackets actually broke off, and I didn't know till I took it apart) I even had to move the steer gear forward 5 inches, and fab new motor mounts.

I basically just grafted the four link mounting brackets from the jeep frame onto mine, the eagle frame is 2 inches narrower at the firewall than the jeep, but it didnt seem to affect the four link much exept the front yolk just barely rubbed the top left link under hard braking, but I ground a bit off the side of the link and it stopped, (it was just enough to make alot of noise) I almost screwed up when I moved the steer gear, if I had just 1/4 inch more, the radiator wouldnt fit, I had to hammer the support forward 1/2 inch anyways, but any further and there wouldnt have been room between the gear and the front crossmember in the frame behind the bumper.

for all my frame pieces I used 1/8 wall 2x4 square tube, and 3/16 1.5x1.5 square for the motor mounts. I used bits of the jeep and some flat steel I had lying around to box in the four-link brackets and its set up so the springs sit directly on the frame. I have about 12 inch tall springs with all the weight on them, and it sits really close to level.

as for the alignment, I used a tape and a plumb bob and its perfect, (very very slight drift to the left, but its probably a tire issue, for starters none have matching tread) I set the caster close to the broncs, using the plumb bob, and I aligned the brackets and frame with the tape and tac welded it until I was sure it was all lined up, then I welded the crap out of it all and the toe was set 1/8 inch in with the tape

for the rear shock towers, I welded a crossmember in and used the shock mounts off the old amc 20 for the upper mounts, I just cut one end off the funny jeep upper mounts on the shocks and pulled them out, leaving the rubber bushing.

its not totally complete yet, I have to move the exhaust so the front drive-shaft will fit, and its too short anyways. so Its only 2 wheel drive for now, but it handles way better and looks a lot tougher.

Sorry guys, I'm not doing a full scale write up on this one, I'm pressed for time and its a complicated process, but if you ask, Ill answer questions. Anywhoo, Here are the pics I got................

2001 Subaru Outback (the official car of Co.)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)
2014 Invacare T7A, (my new legs/wheels)

possible future rig......
imagine an AMX  on a FSJ frame.....

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: The Beast has solid axle and rear disc at last!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
 ;D Very cool Bronc, been waiting for pics, lol. Looks good  :occasion14:
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »
I should have done it under different circumstances, I waited till I had too And had little time to do it, I spent 12+ hours on the weekends working on it, and on work days I came home from work in the am, worked on it all day, slept 4 hours and went back to work. it was insane.

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
Insane......Nah....Call it extremely motivated, that's my excuse anyway  :rotfl:.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »
yeah, I noticed the tranny crossmenber issue, I just whacked out a chunk with the torch.

Im not sure how tall it is, Ill have to measure, I guess since it sits level now, its a 5 inch lift all the way around.

as for parts, thats exactly why I did it, there are alot less parts to wear out on the d30, they are also tougher, and when they do wear out they will be cheaper/ easier to locate and replace.  $60 for a reman halfshaft vs $25 for a spicer steer knuckle u joint. Im totally used to naming multiple vehicles, other than my bike, all mine are frankencars. the bronc is made of about 5 trucks, and the mav was built out of 13 different cars. tis eagles got parts from about 4 or 5 kees on it now.

also, I lucked out, most d35s are c-clip and in 4 popper jeeps usually 4.10 gears, mines a non c-clip with 3.55s

Offline redneckjames

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »
I lifted mine with a straight axle, I did coil springs and long arms. Glad I did it. Now I'm running 33s and might clear 35s shes got 4low thanks to a new t-case any questions I'd be glad to help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk