News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EDIT: Running now {No start condition-not sure where to start}  (Read 2598 times)

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
I forgot to open the gas tank first to see if pressure was causing problems so that may have been the whole deal.. Unhooked the line at the filter and put it in a jar then ran the starter. Actually started running with no fuel line hooked up... Go figure.  Fuel pump seemed great. Replaced filter and old one didn't seem clogged. Replaced the little piece of fuel line between the filter and the carb. Hooked it all up and it started and ran fine..

Hi all, I've been reading all the posts on fuel issues and my head is swimming. Can anyone help me line out the best way to get this car running. have to load up everything i need to take to the car 25 miles away.

I've driven this car probably better 6K miles since I got it last october.  It had problems stalling when i stopped for a while then I worked on stuff and it was running fine for a while. Fueled at a station that had mistakenly dumped diesel in their gas tanks and promptly suctioned it out. 2 days later the car died and wouldn't restart. The fuel company took it to their shop and cleaned out the tank and replaced the fuel filter and said it did indeed have diesel in the gas. Also changed the oil right after this.

Fast forward a month. I've run another few tanks of gas through it and it seemed fine but started trying to die on turns yesterday. Never actually died and otherwise ran well. Filled the tanks while a gas station was getting a load of fuel and ran a couple errands then later headed home and she died and refused to restart. I'm headed out in a while to try to fix it.

I figured first i would take a container and take the fuel line off the intake side of the filter and try to crank it to see if the fuel pump was working and capture some of the fuel to see if its contaminated. Next change the fuel filter and make sure its oriented correctly. From there I'm not sure whats next.  Try to run the car off a bottle of fuel???? Figure out where these notorious bleed idle tubes are??? would they clog up from this mess? can you do something with them on the side of the road?
Also, whats the big risk in running the car off a container of fuel? spilling on the exhaust or something?

Any ideas are welcome. :help:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:41:03 PM by trucker79005 »
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: EDIT: Running now {No start condition-not sure where to start}
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »
I've had that happen to me before - my 64 TBird died on an on-ramp on a busy interstate.  Half an hour later, something made me think to take the fuel cap off, started right back up and ran great!  I'll know next time to make that simple check, but there probably won't be a next time lol.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I really don't know what the problem was but since the tank always seem pressurized I wondered if that could have been it. Guess I need to try to figure out why the tank is holding pressure...
Laura (Shorty)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:06:23 AM »
hi, the tank is vented to the charcoal canister, make sure your vent line is not plugged.  Tank has three lines, 5/16 main engine feed, on pass side; fuel return, 1/4" from fuel filter, along drivers side. and, tank VENT, small 3/16 line to charcoal canister, also along drivers side. good luck, gz

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
I did hook the vent line to a charcoal canister but didn't check to see if it was plugged. Will have to check it. Is there some kind of a check valve in the line or could I unhook both ends and blow it out?
Laura (Shorty)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:38:51 PM »
yes, VERY carefully :)

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 12:58:34 AM »
Gotcha, will be the next task after brakes.
Laura (Shorty)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk