The Shop > Question and Answer

opinions requested, taking a long trip this week

(1/3) > >>

nvsteve:
Ok everyone,  I value the opinions of all esteemed Eagle owners, so please chime in on this dilemma:

Whether to use my Eagle or my Dodge diesel truck for a 1000 mile round trip from Nevada to So. Cal. this week?

Taking the Eagle would be cheaper in fuel costs than the Dodge which is why I am considering the Eagle.

The trip will involve a combination of mountain, desert, and city driving.  There are some long and steep grades on the return trip.  I worry about breakdowns, since I am not much of a mechanic, and don't relish the idea of roadside repairs in cold weather. 

I bought my 84 wagon 4 months ago.  Since then I have used it regularly and it has been reliable.   I had some issues with stalling when I bought it, but with some minor adjustments it seems to be running well enough.  I have averaged about 20 mpg in combined city/hwy driving.  I've only used it for local driving, my longest trip to date is about 100 miles total.  The car doesn't use oil, smoke, or make any funny noises other than a squeekly serpentine belt when cold.  The automatic shifts fine.  It doesn't overheat.  Suspension seems ok,  no shimmy or wobble.  So what do you think?

IowaEagle:
Sounds like you could make the trip with the Eagle.

nvsteve:
Guess I am getting a little bit chicken in my old age (just turned 66).  Its the uphill grades that have me concerned.  There are several on the return trip,  the most worrysome being a 12 mile pull north of Bishop CA that is notorious for devouring motors.  I once spun a rod bearing in my 88 Suburban 350 on that grade,  admittedly I was towing a boat and the weather was hot.  Ever since then I have been a little paranoid about that grade.

thereverendbill:
I would do it in an eagle, just make sure you have a cell phone and a person in the loop that you can depend on to get ya if trouble rears it's ugly head.  A friend who has a car hauler and is nearby is helpful as well ;D

iAMCheap:
If you take the Eagle, try to get some names and numbers of Nest members that you could call if you have problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version