News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice for Turbocharging an 1987 Eagle  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Bobcat2023

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Advice for Turbocharging an 1987 Eagle
« on: March 21, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »
So I recently acquired a free turbo from a friend of a friend. My friends and I who own a 1987 Eagle wagon were thinking of attempting to turbocharge our Eagle. But we have little experience and tools at our finger tips. We only have the turbocharger and none of the rest of parts of  turbo kit (headers, intercooler, etc) and I was wondering what you guys would suggest doing. We could attempt to cobble together a turbo kit for our 4.2 L I-6 but I know this would most likely result in disaster. Any advice or tips would be welcome.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Advice for Turbocharging an 1987 Eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »
I saw it done on the amc forum

http://theamcforum.com/forum/258-turbo-install_topic98202.html

Edit for disclaimer. We have a link to the AMC forum at the topish of our page, so it's good. Just keep us informed as well, please. Also edited cause my auto correct called AMC mac, really wtf.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:24:56 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Advice for Turbocharging an 1987 Eagle
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »
hi, my advice, for what its worth, is, first, READ, up on as much as you can about turbocharging the AMC 258. It has been done, but there is no single "recipe" to follow. To do this, you will need three things, time, skill, and money. If you have an exorbitant amount of one, you can do with less of the other two. Next, is the rest of the car, drivetrain, suspension, etc, up to the added power? Is it worth it? If so, go for it. If not, get the rest of the car up to snuff first, then, go for it.
good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk