News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)  (Read 33880 times)

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
Yeah I have a cart full of stuff from rock auto, once I bleed and check the back brakes I'll see what all I need to add brake wise,

That fill valve looks like it was put in by the previous owner.
Here's a pic of it, I'll get a better one when I get home.

I imagine the heater control valve is just to the left of the red circle, silver with tubes going into it.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
Yep, that's the heater control valve, sitting to the left of the red circle. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Ah, I see.  Based on where that valve has been placed, it should have coolant flowing through it all the time - even if the heater control valve is closed.  Strange that it would only leak when the heater was turned off.  Maybe that changes the pressure in the system just enough...who knows?

Nobody asked, but I LOOOVE RockAuto.  They have so much of my money.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
Huh, I'll have to look up how it's supposed to be set up and maybe switch it back. I wonder if there was an overheating issue? And yeah Ive got like 70 some odd things in my cart and the total is only like $300. Can't beat that!

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
So messing with the stereo issue, the stereo itself works fine, I put 12v to it and it turned on and worked fine, I checked the plug with a multimeter and it only read like 4v, or 0.4v it's hard to tell exactly with the cheap multimeters. I checked the radio/cig fuse and it's fine, I get 12v from the cig lighter (that power was what I used to test the radio) still don't get sound after I hook up the radio however as the same or similar issue is happening with the amp. Only 0.4 volts getting to it and it's not powering on. The amp does not run directly to the battery as far as I can tell, I haven't been able to trace the wires successfully, but I know there are no extra positive wires connected to the battery terminal. Any ideas on troubleshooting I should do?

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 12:13:00 AM »
hi, that  "fill valve" is just a "T" fitting used to do an old school engine cooling system flush. and is not necessary , replace the entire hose, and leave it out, ie, just run a complete one piece hose without that fitting.  The good news is now you know your cooling system has been flushed at some point! good luck, gz

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »
Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. Started the car for a little bit today and it looks like it might be leaking from the heater control valve. Tomorrow I'll take it for a little drive and see how it reacts

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »
Interesting how times have changed - talking about day-time driving lights. In the 50s it was illegal to have such a thing at least in Illinois - not sure about federal laws. I think things started to change in the 60s when people turned their headlights on during holidays only. I remember seeing signs "My headlights are on for safety". I'm all for safety but I doubt that even one accident was prevented because of this. I still wonder about the dual spot-lights that I commonly see. They were seen in the lead sleds of the day (custom cars) but only one was allowed to be working. My older brother had a 50 merc & I was with him when he bought a second spot-light for the passenger side in a bone yard & drilled & installed it but made sure it didn't work.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
Haha, the more you know. https://www.motorists.org/issues/dlr/history/
I guess It was all just marketing wank.

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
So took it for a very quick run today, just wanted to make sure the transmission worked fully as that was the only part I was unsure of to this point, that leak got pretty nasty, it is just an overpressure blowing by that added fill port, other than that the engine ran fine.

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »
Looks like my luck ran out haha, have a blown or never seated properly exhaust gasket. So since I will need to be going at least that far, how difficult is replacing the intake/exhaust gasket? What other things should I replace or is worth upgrading while I'm in there?

Hose that got shreded, probably because of the gasket.

The gasket had been like that since I got it, I kept seeing smoke coming from that area but assumed it was just crud on the motor.

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »
hi, replacing the intake/exhaust gasket is a pretty big, though not undoable job, if you are at least somewhat mechanically apt. as to what to replace, again, any and all soft parts, especially old vac/fuel/etc hoses The intake/exhaust manifolds need to come loose together, since they are joined by the EGR tube, which you will want to leave alone, as it is a BEAR to remove. good luck, gz

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 07:55:12 PM »
Well good luck for me again, all the bolts connecting the intake and exhaust manafolds were loose, so no broken bolts lol. Wonder why the gaskets blew.. Hmmmmm. Anyway got the easy part out of the way, just have to find a way to remove these bad boys.

However... In looking at the gasket closer, could the parts that are out just be to connect the exhaust gasket together? Because that's what it looks like... Lol
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:07:37 PM by Murdoc1905 »

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »
So I am reasonably sure the gasket is perfectly fine. Chalk this up to my lack of auto experience lol. The reason it was smoking was because of the loose bolts. So I'm going to clean up what I can, then add some high heat anti-seize on the bolts and tighten them properly using the handy Epedia http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Intake/Exhaust_Tightening_Sequence I'll just have to find the proper torque specs. Bright side is I found a few more tubes I need to replace, and found a vacuum Leak that I will have to track down where it goes. Plus since it's off might as well take a good look at the carb. Is the reason people tell me not to try to take off the egr tube is because it is hard to get to? Or it breaks easy? It doesn't look too difficult to loosen, and if I can I'd like to add some anti-seize to the nuts to ensure easy removal in case something happens.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
Haha, the more you know. https://www.motorists.org/issues/dlr/history/
I guess It was all just marketing wank.

I'll try not to hijack this thread too much, but....

Its too bad the article in the link doesn't include any dates as a reference for DRL's.  Back in the 1960s, my mother worked for AutoCrat Safety Belt Company, which made seatbelts for Ford and GM (at a minimum).  AutoCrat got bought out by Jim Robbins, he was a big name in racing back then.  Anyways, somewhere around that time, the company introduced what were called "running lights."  They were a single light about 2-3" in diameter, with a clear lense, that were to be mounted in the center of the grill of a car.  They turned on anytime the car was running.  Because my mom worked for the company, they gave some to our family, and we had running lights on our cars at that time.  Apparently they were trying to convince the government of how much safer they made the cars, in hopes that they would be mandated, just like seat belts.  That never came to pass though. 

Unfortunately, Mr. Robbins died in a plane crash in 1966, although his companies lived on.  Here is a picture of Lee Roy Yarbrough's Ford Torino that he drove when he won the 1969 Daytona 500, with Jim Robbins name on the quarter panel.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.....
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk