News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My long awaited Eagle - A project in the works  (Read 60505 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: My long awaited Eagle - A project in the works
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
Nice work so far! and lucky snag on the heated storeage  8)
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
Well the front footwells are primed.  In the mean time I removed the bumper, spoiler (found a key lock underneath), grille (Spirit GT) and headlight bezels for painting.  The previous owner also gave me a nice set of sport seats.  The mounts are a little rusty and I'd like to paint them.  They need to be greased as well.  How do the tracks come apart?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
All tracks but one are de-rusted and painted.  It looks a little too far gone, but I still have some hope.  I soaked the ends of the tracks (the rustiest areas) in Evapo-Rust for a day or two each to remove the rust.  I painted them with galvanizing "rust tough" primer from ACE hardware and coated that with ACE brand Epoxy enamel.  They're not the prettiest thing but at least they won't be rusty.  I used semi-gloss Krylon fusion on the headlight bezels.  I tried the over cleaner trick to remove the chrome plating but it didn't work at all, so I sanded the chrome and painted over it.  Came out ok.  If you look closely you can tell they're spray-bombed.

I primed/painted the metal hood trim strip, too.  I haven't done the bumper yet, but I did remove the fog lights.  The reflectors had crumbled into rust, but KC sells them new for $8 each.

I also put in my order for the Gronk motorcraft upgrade.  Next thing I need to do is go back down to the garage and put on the seam sealer, as well as pull the back carpet to check for any corrosion back there.  Doesn't seem to be any in the far back, so I don't think it'll be too bad.

I can't wait to have a camera again.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 11:36:11 PM »
You're really moving along with this project. Once your past the rust, everything else will seem like a piece of cake. I can wait to see more pictures of your project....This is a very interesting project indeed!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
Thanks!  I'm, as they say, jonesing, to get behind the wheel.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »
Also, what do you guys think of this product?  Looks like it's intended for my purpose.  Or would the Waxoyl inhibitor be better?  http://www.eastwood.com/review/product/list/id/5183/category/26/

Eastwood is a great company, I trust their products. They make a quality generic of everything you need. Their Rust Encapsulator paint is exactly the same as POR15 except very slightly cheaper and said to be slightly better.

The best part is that the company is based in Pottstown, PA. You can walk in and walk out with everything you need. Since you grew up in Boyertown, you know exactly where that is.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 02:15:30 AM »
I feel ya man!! Theres nothing harder than having the car sitting there but not being able to drive it....But when you do finally get it on the road it will be that much sweeter!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »

1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
Floor after primer and seam sealer:

Rear after seam sealer:

Front floor after a crude spray paint job:
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

rohnk

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »
WOW, that turned out good!! Those floor pans are look as good as new...Thats some fine work there.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
Bumpers gone.

Working AM/FM stereo to replace the CD player, thanks to sleepsundercars.

Picked up these emblems on eBay and did the vaseline treatment to them:

Quarter glass removed to tackle rust.  No holes!  Bad pitting, though.  Will use epoxy primer, followed by high-build and some sanding.

Sunroof frame removed.  Had to saw it out thanks to the moron who siliconed it in instead of repairing the seal (which was glued in upside-down, by the way).

Removing fenders.  New ones on the way thanks to reverendbill.  Also pulled the drip rails.

Windshield pulled intact.  Small pinholes on the drivers side, but not where one would think.  They're on the inside of the car, where the dash meets the metal.  Odd.  My friend is going to fill them in with the MIG, grind them down.  Then we'll naval jelly it all, epoxy prime, putty the pits and sand it smooth.

Hatch removed.

Around the hatch opening, after wire wheeling and two treatments of naval jelly.  Sadly, the rust is under the seam.  Aside from drilling the welds out, cleaning and re-welding, I can only clean it out the best I can, prime and seam seal it again.  Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:07:52 PM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline dustybat13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
Excellent project and great write up. Did you figure out what to do about the rust in the seams of the rear hatch?
Click for PORTLAND, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
For the rust in the rear hatch, I wire-wheeled out as much as I could.  Then I bought a can of Eastwood Rust Converter and soaked it.  Let it cure for 48+ hours.  Then I soaked it with Eastwood Red Rust Encapsulator.  Let it run down into the seam.  Let that sit and cure for a week or two.  Then I came back, scuffed it and sprayed SprayMax 2K Epoxy Primer (in a can) on it.  I did that today.  When it cures, I have a caulk gun loaded with seam sealer that I'll put in the seam.  They shop will paint over that when it gets done.  I'm hoping with garage storage, it'll hold off the rust for a few years.

Pics to follow...
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
Here's an update on the slow progress...

Quarter window with some good 'ole Bondo.

The horrid looking front end. I've never seen paint chip so much.

Yuck.

Tail lights removed, hatch gutter area epoxy primed.

Interior. No more door panels or glass.

Rear hatch area, touched up. Gutter/channel around hatch epoxy primed. The bumper things I can't get off.

Shot some Eastwood rust encapsulator on a few places for the heck of it. I wire brushed what scale was there (very little), wiped with wax and grease remover and sprayed. I'm not proud of this work.. but if it works, what the hey.

Front end after sanding/wheeling and "encapsulating" the bare/pitted/lightly rusty areas. I will add epoxy primer the entire area once the encapsulator cures. The body shop will paint this area black/yellow.

Passenger side. Sanded out the dings and chips on the door edges and around the window. Removed rear fender flares and rocker plastic.

This is the best I could do with the windshield channel as far as rust removal. Wheeled what I could, "converted" with Eastwood Rust Converter. Covered with Eastwood encapsulator. Then I scuffed and used AllMetal to fill the pitting. Once that cured I sanded it smooth and coated it with epoxy primer.

Driver side. Same thing with the door here. Got the dings out around the edges the best I could.

:censored:

Proof of a collision. This is the mounting area for the hood release.

More collision evidence. Notice the mangled metal.

D'oh! At least this is as bad as the outer rockers get.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk