1979 - 1983 AMC Spirits and 1978 - 1983 AMC Concords > '78 - '79 AMC 232 I-6 Engine

spirit 232

<< < (3/3)

amcfool1:
hi, so, nobody has a 232? reason I,m asking is that my 232 Spirit has the stock Carter YF 1 bbl carb, and it runs fine. Have opportunity to get a deal on a Carter YFA from a Ford 300 cid  L6, From what I've read, the Ford 300 truck carb flows around 200 cfm, while my stock carb is about 170? or so. Might be a cheap and easy (though very small)  upgrade. BTW the difference afaik between the YF and the YFA is that the YFA is electric choke, and the YF is the manifold heat tube style. Any thoughts/opinions? thanks gz

Amc1320:
My dad has a gremlin with a 232, same carb as you I think. The engine was completely wore out and had really low compression so we took it out, but it was super smooth running at one time

I would give it a try, a few more cfm's should be fine and the electric choke might be a nice upgrade!

carnuck:
I would take a close look at the base to see if teh bolt pattern is bigger or not. The hole the carb goes into on the intake may be a restricting point too. I'm not a big fan of 1 bbl carbs. Them and Holley 4 bbls are what I've had the worst luck with even fixing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version