News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 05:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear end swap  (Read 3855 times)

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Rear end swap
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
Need some advice and info. Will a Ford Ranger 8.8 rear end fit in my wagon? If so, what kind of mod would have to be done? I don't know what the measurements are.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Re: Rear end swap
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:32:54 AM »
Yes it will fit, though there are some issues, they are basically the same issues that arise when puting one under a Cherokee.  Shock mounts won't work and will need to be added, plumbing is in the wrong place, gear ratio, the most common 8.8 is 3.73, but others are available, 3.55 for sure as i have a set of those, and some 2.xx's though I wasn't looking for them at the time so I didn't pay attention, then you will need the u-joint flange(8.8's use a flange, not a saddle mount u-joint) If you're handy, ie. cut off extraneous mounts, fab shock mounts, weld, bend & flare brake line etc. it ought to be about an afternoons work, that's what it took me to put one under an XJ Cherokee.  google XJ 8.8 swap and you will find tons of writeups, the eagle has the same spring mount width and real close to the same WMS-WMS width as a Cherokee. The WMS-WMS width on a Ranger/Exploder is 7/8" narrower

Doc

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
And c-clips...... i know people run them and i have heard those same people say "my explorer has 1xx xxx miles and I've never had a problem.. bla bla bla. " They all changed their minds when they started wheeling them and they did break a axle or lose a c-clip. and the c-clip eliminators are pricey.

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »
The AM15 out of the Eagle, 60.75" WMS-WMS.  The Cherokee is 60.625 WMS-WMS. (D35, Chrysler 8.25 and D44 all years.)

The AMC Eagle axle is 60.75 WMS-WMS.

'83-'92 Ranger rear axle = 56.5" (7.5 & 8.8)
'93up Ranger rear axle = 58.5" (7.5 & 8.8)
Bronco II rear axle = 58"
Explorer rear axle 59.5"

Also a LOT of information here on them. http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/announcement.php?f=16
A shout out to the RangerStation for all of the information.

As with ALL axles, horsepower, lots of torque, BIG rubber, and a heavy right foot will break them.  You can run 35's and lockers all day on an 8.8 with no worries about breaking the c-clip axle, especially on an Eagle.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
You know, C-Clips are a whole 'nother debate, to each his own there, theoretically they can break, and if it does the axle will come out, you also COULD theroretically break an axle shaft and it would also come out, whereas a pressed on bearing with the plate bolted to the axle housing  would retain said broken axle in the tube.

On the other hand millions of vehicles have been built using c-clips and hundreds of thousands of miles have been put on them, so that has to equate to at least BILLIONS of miles without issue, with that said that is using the vehicle somewhere close to its design parameters.  If I were building a rig to do some hard wheeling where it gets a lot of side loading I would install c-clip eliminators or go to an axle that doesn't use them in the first place.  

You could definitly put a D-60 or a 14 Bolt under there and be bullet proof, but it would take more work, shorten the tubes, mount spring pad, use different wheels, etc and that wasn't the OP's question, he asked could he use a Ranger 8.8", I expanded that to the Exploder 8.8" as well because they are the same axle and it's one more place to get one from a wrecking yard(didn't mention it but the Montaineer and and Isuzu branded truck are knock-off of their Ford equivalents and those would work too) One thing that IS worth mentioning is that the Rangers used both 8.8's & 7.5's so be sure of what you are getting, if you know the axles it's easy to recognize the difference, if not then just buying a Ranger rear axle might get you either...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:58:40 AM by doc65 »

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
PR1AWRet,

Thanks, for going & grabbing that info to post, I've read it but was being lazy & didn't re-post it here.  when I said the XJ was real close, .128 or 1/8" is a negligible difference to me.  Additionally the late model Exploders lots of them had Limited Slip's in them from the factory, and they had the larger 31 spline axles, so that is definitely the one to look for if shopping a Pick & Pull... 

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
Good info from everyone. Have a chance to pick up the Ranger 8.8 with 3.08 gear ratio out of a '94 for $150. Did not know that much about it. Grandson is looking to put a Explorer 8.8 under his Cherokee Mud bogger,and though the Ranger might work out for the Eagle,as I'm having trouble with the A-15 like I said in my previous post.

Offline PR1AWRet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
The Ranger axles are at minimum 2 inches narrower, so an inch on each side.  The spring perches have to go in the same place, so that brings the wheel 1 inch closer to the spring.  Is there enough room?  Also your tires will be 1 inch farther in the wheel well.  Might look funny.

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
Yep, as many looks as I get sure don't want to look funny. Guess I'll wait for a Cherokee. Won't be as much work and down time. Thanks again to everyone for all the advice. 

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
The Ranger swap is good for the 2wd cars with that narrowness.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk