News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:55:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1993 Jeep 4.0 Bell Housings and Flex Plates  (Read 1171 times)

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
1993 Jeep 4.0 Bell Housings and Flex Plates
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:42:48 PM »
Hello - hopefully there are some folks here familiar with Jeep Wranglers.

My son and I will be installing a 4.0 L engine from a 1993 Wrangler Safari into his 1986 AMC Eagle Limited.  The Jeep had a manual transmission and the Eagle is an automatic.  I am planning on procuring a 1993 Jeep automatic transmission bell housing for so I can mount the crankshaft position sensor.  Two questions:

1)  Will the 1993 Jeep bell housing bolt up to the AMC Eagle transmission? I believe the 1986 Eagles used transmission is a Chrysler TF998, specifically configured for four-wheel drive for AMC.
2)  I have the flywheel flex plate from the 1993 manual transmission Jeep.  Is there a difference between the automatic and manual transmission Jeep flywheels flex plates?

I asked these questions on a Jeep forum, but so far have received no responses.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 03:32:26 AM by OverKnight »
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: 1993 Jeep 4.0 Bellhousings and Flywheels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 11:13:14 PM »
the bell housing on the Eagle transmission does not come off as it and the body of the transmission are one piece. As for the whole crank position sensor bit there have been a few people who have just drilled a hole in their Eagles bell housing also you will need the flex plate from an automatic Cherokee or Wrangler as the tourqe converter will not bolt to a manuals flywheel.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: 1993 Jeep 4.0 Bell Housings and Flex Plates
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 03:29:47 AM »
Thank you, maddog.  You're right, the bell housing is integral with the transmission.  I initially wrote flywheel in the subject but meant to write flex plate (corrected).  We will be procuring the flex plate for an 1993 automatic Jeep.  My next question is, can anyone provide the exact location of where the crank position sensor is mounted in the bell housing?  I understand a hole can be cut into the AMC bell housing and a bracket fabricated to mount the CPS.  Because the correct positioning of the CPS is crucial, I'd guess that some adjustment can be made with the bracket.  Has anyone here done this?  If so, can you provide pictures and/or measurements?

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
One thing to note.  I swapped a manual Jeep 258 into an automatic Eagle that had a 258.  The bolts holding on the fly wheel are not interchangeable with the bolts that hold on the flex plate.  Get bolts specifically made for the flex plate and automatic transmission. 

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 12:31:17 PM »
Thanks, vangremlin, I wouldn't have known that.
- Stephen Grellet

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:36:34 PM »
Thanks, vangremlin, I wouldn't have known that.

You're welcome. I only found that out by experience, luckily we discovered it before anything got damaged but did have to remove the transmission so we could change out the bolts. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:16:00 PM »
eagle transmission crossmembers are different between auto and manual also.

Manitowoc WI

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 04:46:41 PM »
Thank you, mudkicker.  This shouldn't be an issue because we're going to use the original Eagle automatic transmission.
- Stephen Grellet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk