News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 09:03:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 SX/4 Dull "Penny"  (Read 83321 times)

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: 1983 SX/4 Dull "Penny"
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2014, 01:57:15 AM »

HI     I like the wheels you have on Penny ...I have a set like that for silver ...your not to far from Houston are you about 50 miles ....that is where silver came from .....the frame bolts should be soaked in WD40 or some thing to remove the rust to make easier for removal ......don     
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
Springs do settle, especially leaf springs, especially arched leaf springs. If you're lucky six months from now they'll be exactly where you want them.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2014, 12:29:11 AM »
Paid for the work done at the new shop and drove the car home today. I need to either figure out how to make the lift springs work or install the new stock springs I purchased this weekend. The spring shop will give me a refund on one pair, but not a refund on the 2" arch done on the first pair.

Since getting it home though I installed new window sweeps (outside anyway, not sure how to get the inner one off or the new one back on) and window channels on the driver side. Also installed the driver side sport mirror I got from Vangremlin a long time ago. Gotta figure out how to stop it from wiggling though. Vacuumed out the drivers floorboard as well. Tomorrow I work on trying to get the shackles in the right position and then will likely clean out the inside of the car thoroughly.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »
Whoever arched those springs went too far..wayyy to far
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »
I asked for a 2 inch lift. He arched them an extra 2 inches. I got them on much better now. The shackles were just not put on right.

I also cleaned out the rear and vacuumed everything real good. It's starting to feel like my car. It's a shame I'm going to have to leave it for like 6 months :(

Here is how it sits now. Much better than before.

Removed the rear seat in hopes of finding the build sheet. No luck. Vacuumed real good while everything was out.

The carpet is in surprisingly good shape.

Even have the original spare tire and cover.

Seats all cleaned up and back in. They look great. Probably cause no one can fit in the back!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
Looking much better.  Keep up the good work!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »
Looks a lot better. Where did you get your leafs?

I like to get into the back seat of mine sometimes and just sit there for a bit (with the seatback in front of me pushed forward of course) and everytime I do I can't help but laugh.

And what, no pics of the vintage McDonald's game pieces?! lol
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:27 PM »
Thanks guys! The leafs are from GeneralSpringKC out of Kansas City. I have a spare set now, but will be returning them since I got the lifted set to work.

Me and the wife hopped into the back seats just to try them out. The passenger side had the front seat all the way forward but the driver side had the seat all the way back. Andreas legs were wedged on either side of the seat back! haha.

I should have checked the date on McDonald's Monopoly Game pieces at least. I just tossed them or sucked them up in the vacuum one. Oh well!

I am having an issue with keeping the batter charged. Not sure what is draining it but the shop charged the battery up yesterday and I drove it a couple miles home no issues. Then today it was completely dead. Couldn't even pop the rear hatch. The battery is brand new so I think something is drawing power. Uhg. I hate electrical work!

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2014, 11:53:31 PM »
Thanks guys! The leafs are from GeneralSpringKC out of Kansas City. I have a spare set now, but will be returning them since I got the lifted set to work.
Thanks! I'll have to keep them in mind if/when I need some.

Me and the wife hopped into the back seats just to try them out. The passenger side had the front seat all the way forward but the driver side had the seat all the way back. Andreas legs were wedged on either side of the seat back! haha.
I pulled the seat back once, it makes you pretty much do the splits lol.

I should have checked the date on McDonald's Monopoly Game pieces at least. I just tossed them or sucked them up in the vacuum one. Oh well!
Should've kept them, a little memento of your cars history. I kept mine or maybe that just makes me weird lol

I am having an issue with keeping the batter charged. Not sure what is draining it but the shop charged the battery up yesterday and I drove it a couple miles home no issues. Then today it was completely dead. Couldn't even pop the rear hatch. The battery is brand new so I think something is drawing power. Uhg. I hate electrical work!
I feel ya. I hate electrical too. On mine the dome & courtesy lights won't turn off, already replaced the driver side door switch and they still are on. Need to find the time to get to the passenger side and hope to god that it's that one or more electrical digging for me as well  ::).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2014, 11:56:13 PM »
What is the courtesy light? I know my dome light turns off.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »
I call them courtesy lights, not sure if I am correct or not, but they are the lights near your feet near the kick panel.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:59 AM »
There are lights down there? I never knew.

I'm guessing they would go off and come on with the dome light so I'm guessing that not my issue.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:17:56 AM by Prafeston »

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
Yeah, they work with the dome light.
My old wagon's worked as they should've.

Did TQ's not work? Or Penny's?

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2014, 12:32:11 AM »
I feel ya. I hate electrical too. On mine the dome & courtesy lights won't turn off, already replaced the driver side door switch and they still are on. Need to find the time to get to the passenger side and hope to god that it's that one or more electrical digging for me as well  ::).

I'm not sure about sx/4s but wagons also have a switch, or at least the wire at the back hatch to turn the dome, and courtesy lights on when grounded.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »

I'm not sure about sx/4s but wagons also have a switch, or at least the wire at the back hatch to turn the dome, and courtesy lights on when grounded.

I don't think there are any wires back there, but I will look more thoroughly now that you mention it. Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk