News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 06:02:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 SX/4 Dull "Penny"  (Read 83368 times)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: 1983 SX/4 Dull "Penny"
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2014, 01:11:10 AM »
TQ probably had them and I just didn't remember. Penny hadn't been in my possession long enough to realize. Plus the battery is always died.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:59:31 AM by Prafeston »
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline bertosalceda

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2014, 09:16:31 AM »

Congratulations, you have got a beautiful SX4.
Cleaned carpet and seats, door panels and headlight bezels are again in its places, you are getting to finish a great job
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:18:04 AM by bertosalceda »

Offline Blue4Door1985

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
Well I scored some goodies this weekend for Penny. I installed new rear marker lights and put the front end back on. Also installed my Cherokee Hook style wiper arms with some new wipers. Here is another recent video of the 4.0 engine running. Idle sounds a bit high, but other than that not too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYHHy8lgL0c

The two marker lights on the left got put on today.

My driver side bezel was cracked so I got a replacement.

80s Grill with just one broken slat at the very top in the middle.

Spirit grill with a hole in the grill and several of the slats cracked and missing pieces. I'm considering cutting out all of the slats except for the main cross and then installing some sort of mesh/chicken wire behind it.

And then I also tried out all 3 grills on the car. Well, I installed the 80 grill and rested the other two over top to see which one I'd like better.

Will the early 80's spirit grill fit an 85 Eagle without any modifications?

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
Yes, may require sliding over the nuts that screw it down in a few places.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2014, 05:06:34 AM »
Uhg, I miss my car! :(

I hope to get back to Missouri in October or November and snatch it up. Probably staying out in Utah for a little longer than we thought. We like it out here! Just wish I had some more of my toys!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2014, 01:19:37 AM »
So I want to have a plan of attack when I get back to Missouri in the next month and a half or so.

Engine: When I left the car was running pretty well. Took it around the block a few times. There seems to be a problem with the choke plate and some carb adjustments, but other than that I think the engine would be ready to go. I do have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge I'd like to install...but first I want to look into the stock one in my gauge cluster cause I'd rather just fix it...if that's possible.

Leaking: It was leaking some oil though when I pulled it into the driveway, but it appears to be coming from the oil dip stick tube. Is this something that can be replaced? Is it likely mine is broken or just needs tightened back down?

Dead Battery: The battery was not lasting through the night so there is a drain somewhere in the system. Would there be a usual suspect? Especially considering what the shop may have done with the wiring to get the 4.0 and electric fuel pump in my car...where should I go looking for power drains?

Blinkers: My blinkers are not working. Hazards work fine, but nothing happens when the switch is turned for left or right at the column. I don't recall if it stayed in the on position through the turn and flipped off as if it was working or not. So I know the bulbs are working, does that mean my switch is probably broken? What part would I be looking to replace?

Electric Fuel Pump: The shop installed the pump, but did not put in a relay of any kind. Currently as soon as the key is put in the on position it starts running. Found this out the hard way when I was testing the radio in the car with the key on and the car not running. Started smelling gas and realized the pump was running. Had been wondering what that strange sound was, but thought it might have been the radio as it wasn't working. Where do I splice in a relay? Guessing I'll need a considerable length of wire to go from back be the tank up to the engine or under the dash.

I'd also like to remove the dash and take out this stupid aftermarket intermittent wiper module which is wired up all weird. While the dash is out I'll install the proper one I bought from Vangremlin...and while I'm at it I should probably buy one of those Ford tach kits too cause mine isn't working.

And I'll have to do something about the lack of radio before I make the nearly 20 hour drive back to UT! I'm sure about a million other things will pop up that I'll need to take care of along the way. Luckily the brakes seem to be working just fine. And hopefully after I finally got the rear springs installed correctly they've had a little time to settle.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
I'll just reply on the fuel pump. Just because it is running all the time, doesn't mean it is not on a relay. It could be the relay is powered when the key is in the on position.  I would try to get that problem fixed. It's not a big deal when running, but if you were to get into an accident and there was damage to the fuel line the fuel pump would stay running if the engine shut off without the key, letting the fuel pump possibly feed a fire. A simple oil pressure switch would work. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-a68301?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwjtGfBRCN4-LU9ODG1-wBEiQAy_Xp7_XsbJoVJlpn2H5i5VpPWtgvI1UHWpVhQPtnuQFsjWAaAle48P8HAQ
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:20:00 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »
You want to be careful with the dipstick tube. The stock ones are just pressed in.just twist the tube back and forth and push or pull. The problem is you can break them off in the block! So be careful! The turn signals might be the flasher. They have two one for hazards and the other for the flashers.
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »
The turn signals might be the flasher. They have two one for hazards and the other for the flashers.

I hope my dip stick tube isn't already broken. I'll be careful when fiddling with it.

I don't quite know what you mean. There are two separate fuses...is that what you mean? One for flashers and one for hazards? I'd really like to figure out what's up with the turn signals not working before I try to drive it from Denver to Utah in a couple weeks... EEKKK!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
The flasher is the part that  that makes either the hazzards and turn signals flash. There are 2 separate flashers. One for the hazzards and one for the turn signals. The one for the turn signals is up inside the dash usually just hanging there.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2014, 09:19:32 AM »
If the flasher isn't hanging there, it will be clipped to the side of the car near the wiper switch, I have a pic I can post later.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #177 on: October 04, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »
What is the part number for the turn signal flasher? Can it be found at most parts stores? Is it easily changed without taking the dash out?

My buddy took a look at the Eagle the other day. He's a mech for a Ford dealership. I had left the battery unhooked. Started right up after hooking it up. He did  have some things to say about it.

"The leak is coming from your transfer case. Nothing serious. Looks like you need a new output seal and a drain bolt. Also some new sealant on the case halfs. Your tach don't work but that should be one wire on the distributor. If you rev the engine with the pedal the idle will stay high if you use the the carb to rev it with your hand the idle goes to normal. Drove it around the block. Clutch is good shifts gears good. There is a rapid clicking v-Belt sound when drive goes away up hill not sure what it is. I dont think it is anything serious.

When you get it back put it on jack stands and have someone drive it so you can find that clicking sound. Also at idle the alt belt looks a little loose.  But when the idle is up the alt pulley seems to have a bit of a wobble to it so you will want to fix that as well."

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #178 on: October 04, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
I'm flying back home on Monday and eaglefreek is gonna Dolly my car to the Eagle Motel meet in Denver. From there I'll be driving it from there back to Utah. Wish us well. And if anyone is coming to the meet I could use some help making sure it's up to snuff for the trip.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:00:24 PM by Prafeston »

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #179 on: October 04, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »
And if anyone is coming to the meet I could use some help making sure it's up to snuff for the trip.
I will be bringing my tools (I am driving my MB), so I/we (anyone at the meet) can do what it takes.  I am sure there will be plenty of hands and brains available there  :)
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk