News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:51:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drive Shaft Towing Question  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Drive Shaft Towing Question
« on: July 01, 2020, 02:52:49 AM »
Hello all,
            In earlier posts I was informed I cannot flat tow my 85 Eagle Wagon becuae it will ruin the transfer case because it will still be turning but not getting fluid. It was recommended to remove the rear drive shaft and then I could tow on all fours I believe that is how I understood it. Here are some questions related to that.

1. When the car is being driven what powers the pump that supplies the fluid to the transfer case?
2. If I remove the rear drive shaft and pull it on all fours do I put it in neutral?
3. If I put it in neutral and not Park would there be "pull" on the battery since it is not in park?
4. If it is on all fours and I remove the rear drive shaft does the front drive shaft not turn because it is not cranked up and not in gear?
5. I read on another post that a way to pull on all fours is to install a NP242 transfer case as I would then be able to put the transfer case in neutral and there would be no need to remove any drive shaft. Is that accurate?
6. If that is accurate where does the lever or whatever go to shift the transfer case into neutral? Would I need to cut a hole in the floor for a lever of some kind to come through?

Sorry for all the questions. I love Eagles but am definitely not a mechanic.

Offline Tennessee_Farmer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 53
Re: Drive Shaft Towing Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
The AMC Technical Service Manual explains remove both the front and rear drive shafts when towing with all four wheels on the ground.  You can leave the car in park since the transmission is disconnected from the wheels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk