News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 06:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converted to R134 I want my R12 back  (Read 10107 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Converted to R134 I want my R12 back
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »
Unfortunately I converted to R134 under a friends suggestion, now I want my R12 back. But How??
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Converted to R134 I want my R12 back
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
Did you do a real conversion or just have the R12 sucked out and filled with 134?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:36:26 AM »
The R12 system went down to 22 degrees on a mild day, the r134 can't hold below 45 on a cool day.
eaglefreek
The R12 sucked out and r134 put in.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »
When I got my eagle the r12 was missing. When the PO had the new engine put in they just dumped it. I filled it up with redtek and it blows real cold. Still full from June 2010. Cost $20 for enough to fill from empty.

R12 is 6c colder than 134a and redtek is 6c colder than R12.

Are you sure the system is full?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:21:17 PM by maximus7001 »
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
Unfortunately I converted to R134 under a friends suggestion, now I want my R12 back. But How??

R12 is no longer made...the first President Bush (41) signed an executive order prohibiting the manufacture of R12 in about 1996. If you find any at all it will be reclaimed and will cost you a fortune.

1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
ditto what he said. r12 isnt available anymore, most places would have converted you to redtek by now, im not sure why you ended up with r134?
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »
ditto what he said. r12 isnt available anymore, most places would have converted you to redtek by now, im not sure why you ended up with r134?
I'm not sure why it was converted to R134A myself. My experience with R12 to R134A conversions have been less than satisfactory and done only on customer demand...much better was a substance known as FR12. But I haven't seen that for a while.
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
It could be a couple of things. There is an adjustable thermostat that cycles the pump, and that needs re-adjusted for 134a. It's behind the glove box.

You could also have a worn-out expansion valve. They're supposed to balance A/C flow, and they're charged with some R12, but that's probably leaked out by now. New ones will be charged with the 134a and work better anyway.

Lastly, the American Air condenser is bigger, but takes a different receiver/dryer. A bigger condenser will help, and if your old condenser is rotting away, it's not going to do its job very well. The receiver/dryer should have been changed when the 134a was put in. They are usually rusted to the condenser.

The only part that is really refrigerant specific is usually the expansion valve, but because 134a is just a little less efficient a bigger condenser can help, especially in cars where the original condenser may have been just sufficient. The evaporator in our cars is plenty big if it's getting enough cool refrigerant.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
AmCFreak, do you know if the receiver dryer was changed when it was charged with R134A?

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »
No, the system would bleed over the winter, refilling with the r12 replacement (redtek) was getting expensive.  So I vacuumed the system, put the retro fit fittings over the r12 fittings and charged it up with the r-134. The reason I want to convert back is I have a friend who's father owned a parts store and he still has a few cases of real r12. He told me if I replaced all of my hoses and checked everything for leaks and was leak free he would fill me up free of charge. Thats a double score...... Getting actual R12 and I ain't paying for it.  ;D but I gotta do it right this time.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:17:39 AM »
No, the system would bleed over the winter, refilling with the r12 replacement (redtek) was getting expensive.  So I vacuumed the system, put the retro fit fittings over the r12 fittings and charged it up with the r-134. The reason I want to convert back is I have a friend who's father owned a parts store and he still has a few cases of real r12. He told me if I replaced all of my hoses and checked everything for leaks and was leak free he would fill me up free of charge. Thats a double score...... Getting actual R12 and I ain't paying for it.  ;D but I gotta do it right this time.
You have scored big time. :occasion14: I still would replace the receiver dryer...it's cheap insurance against later problems. I can get you a part number if you need it...NAPA has a direct-fit replacement. Expansion valves very seldom fail.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »
thanks eaglebeek I love part numbers it makes life some much easier

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:31 PM »
thanks eaglebeek I love part numbers it makes life some much easier

NAPA P/N TEM208425

It should be noted...this is for factory installed A/C. It will not fit a car with dealer-installed or aftermarket A/C. If you have such please post up and I'll try to find you a different part.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:26:29 AM »
most ac places should have charged your car with dye as well, and that should make finding a leak easier. i know we used to use a dye that would glow in black light and that would make finding leaks a breeze.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
most ac places should have charged your car with dye as well, and that should make finding a leak easier. i know we used to use a dye that would glow in black light and that would make finding leaks a breeze.
What he said.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
Most (if not all) refrigerant oil contains dye.  Whenever a system is evacuated, new oil should be added.  Your A/C tech should know the proper type and amount.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »
Thank you eaglebeek for the part number, I am pretty sure the car has factory air (I no longer have the build sticker) but I am almost positive of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk