News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:19:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pre-heater hose connection  (Read 3629 times)

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Pre-heater hose connection
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:12:52 PM »
While looking at the pre-heater hose from underneath, I see a hole in what it attaches to.
What part is that?  (Sorry for the ignorant question).
Can it be patched or does it need to be replaced?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Pre-heater hose connection
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:54 AM »
It just allows warm air into the air cleaner to keep the carb from freezing.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:19 AM »
That part is called - heat stove or in my day we called it a choke stove. Provides warm air to carb during warm up, so nice to have in working condition if car is used in cold weather and you want to drive away right after starting without hesitation/stalling, at least that's the theory.

replacement is best as when badly rusted out it's impractical to try repair, not that it's been done by some.  :)

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
So, is a replacement part available for this?
The car is driven mostly in cold weather.

Does anyone have a picture of one off the car?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
Choke stove is actually around the choke and rod style early chokes (last used by AMC on 232s in '79) electric chokes don't need them. The assembly used to be available new. They changed twice during Eagle production (for the 4.2L) When they went to the separate intake exhaust mid '81 (same time as the plastic valve cover from what I have seen) it changed slightly and early may not fit late and vice versa. I'll have one if I ever have time to swap my manifold out.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
It's held on by blind rivets and should be the same for any 82+ AMC/Jeep 258.

It's not a precision part, so if your interested then fabricating your own is possible, or even repairing it with some steel and sheetmetal screws.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk