News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 09:44:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shield for catalytic converter?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Shield for catalytic converter?
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
The covering (shield) over the catalytic converter on my '84 is disintegrating, even when you touch it.

Is it necessary to have the shield in place?  I don't see this item on replacement converters... or is it built into them?

I don't want to start any fires by neglecting this.  Is a replacement available or even needed?

Kevin
Medina, Ohio

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Shield for catalytic converter?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
The shield is built into a generic replacement cat

Manitowoc WI

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
If you don't want to replace your cat, I just yoinked mine.  I believe the heat shield is still good.   I can get some pictures if you would like.   You can have it for the cost of shipping.  I think it will fit in a large flat rate USPS box.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:03 AM »
I'm going to a high flow cat (if no-one buys my wagon and I take it to Canada when I move) Even though they weren't required on Canadian Eagles, trying to prove that to emissions guys isn't easy!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. 
Looking at my pictures, I think that is the original catalytic converter.  Can it be run without the guard or is it best to have something there in place?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk