News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 11:23:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement fuel filler neck for SX4?  (Read 4937 times)

rohnk

Replacement fuel filler neck for SX4?
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
Working on the SX4 today, I took apart the fuel filler to take the license frame off to clean rust off of it. I noticed that the fuel filler neck is cracked all the way around and is looking pretty ragged. I don't think it is leaking yet but just a matter of time. I read the fuel system section and found that Gorilla tape may help and another tape product that I might be able to wrap the neck tube in, but I'd rather replace it.

Anybody know how to replace the rubber fuel filler neck? Can I just pull it out of the tank and stick in a new one? Need some help on this one.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Replacement fuel filler neck for SX4?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
If its like the Kammback fuel filler, there is no off the shelf replacement available.  The filler is tapered, with the end that attaches at the top larger than the end that fits in the tank.  I had to go down to the auto parts store and buy pieces of two different generic fuel filler hoses, one that fit the top and one that fit into the tank.  The bottom piece should fit nicely into the top piece, and I used a hose clamp to hook them together.  I don't remember the sizes off hand, but its not too hard to figure out.

My original fuel filler hose had been sitting in gasoline for over 15 years, it was the most disgusting, slimey thing I've ever encountered 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
The SX/4 filler is a 2-piece unit (upper and lower).   The upper piece is the part that the cap goes onto (includes the little unleaded flappie thing); and the lower is the tapered piece that extends into the tank.   Is that "crack all the way around" just the seam where the 2 pieces go together??   I could scan you the page out of the parts book if that would help.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
I once repaired the one in my '77 Gremmie with a piece of galvanized exhaust pipe.   Like Vangremlin said, gonna take some creative adapting of parts to fix!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »
To describe a litte more, the license frame bots onto the back of the car. At the back of the license frame, there is a round metal ring that goes around the hose. The hose itself is flanged at the top and six scrwes go through the rubber hose fange and into the metal flange of the license frame. The filler neck then continues down to the tank. It is split and cracked along its length from the top flange to where it enters the tank.

Can I just pull hard on the filler tube and it will come out of the tank? Are there screws or a band that secure the filler neck into the tank?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »

Can I just pull hard on the filler tube and it will come out of the tank? Are there screws or a band that secure the filler neck into the tank?

Yes, just pull on it and it will come out.  There is nothing that holds it in the tank (IIRC).

You can attach the new filler hose to the back of the license plate frame with a hose clamp.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
I replaced the one of SOTE (Spirit of the Eagle) with one from an Eagle that was all steel for a better setup.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
I replaced the one of SOTE (Spirit of the Eagle) with one from an Eagle that was all steel for a better setup.

I think I tried that on the Kammback and it didn't work.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

rohnk

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:45 PM »
I'm going to check this out closer tomorrow, but I have an idea. I'll explain tomorrow night with pictures if all works out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk