News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 01:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: vacuum actuators  (Read 3687 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
vacuum actuators
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
How do you test them to see if the work, off vehicle? i just had my tranny rebuilt and now I wanna see why my 4 wheel driver didn't work unless i shifted it with a wrench.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: vacuum actuators
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
How do you test them to see if the work, off vehicle? i just had my tranny rebuilt and now I wanna see why my 4 wheel driver didn't work unless i shifted it with a wrench.
There is more than likely a vacuum leak somewhere in your actuator lines or the lines going to the front axle or somewhere going to the 4WD system itself. Do not actuate your 4WD with a wrench if there's obvious signs of no vacuum pressure going to the system(no leak noise when shifting either direction) and if you can't feel the steering change a bit the way it does when you shift into 4WD. If the front axle isn't actuated and the transfer case is in 4WD, you could blow your viscous coupler. Check the entire 4WD vacuum line system for leaks.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
The front actuator is working, i pull over the switch to 4wd, to lock the front, then used a wrench to switch the transfer case.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »
Just get a vacuum pump and try the several nipples. It should move the rod and hold vacuum for a long time. If you get more than 10 minutes of stable vacuum after moving the rod I'd call it good for all practical purposes.

Remember, the two motors are a system. When engaging 4wd first the front switches then the front motor routes vacuum to the transfer case. When disengaging 4wd the rear switches first then sends vacuum to the front. If one is broken then the other may disengage randomly.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »
when i try the nipples i should plug the other ones right? the air just gets sucked from them.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
Not all of them, check the diagram in the Eaglepedia.

You have to leave the opposing port on the actuator open for it to move. So the front and back ports on the pie-pan shaped end should not be plugged, but the ones on the stem should be. If the diaphragm is bad it will leak from one of those ports to the other.

The stem seals may be bad... but it would be rare for them to leak so much as to make the system inoperable.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk