News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wood grain  (Read 2135 times)

Offline eaglefan

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Wood grain
« on: February 28, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
OK I am new to the forum, but have had my  88 Eagle wagon since 94.  I am repainting and replacing the wood grain.  The problem is the original was so old and flaking I don't know what the finish was.  I unfortunately threw all the material away without thinking.  I have located the 3M decal material, but it comes in two finishes:  a high gloss and a more of a satin.  Which was the original finish, gloss or satin?

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Hoping to get my wagon back to a daily driver.
Re: Wood grain
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 07:19:10 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen an Eagle wagon with anything other than a satin finish. I'm curious did you complete the paint job and new vinyl wood grain?

Would love to see a pic posted.
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon (donor) - parted out and sold

Next up - Holley Sniper BBD swap - then I'll throw a Carter BBD smashing party

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 12:08:10 AM »
I'm sure the factory finish was closer to satin. With that said, I had a body shop professionally apply clear coat to my woodgrain decal to help keep the patina but protect it. I would 100% recommend go for high gloss if you can, it really pops.

https://youtu.be/5-L_e388i5A
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:10:33 AM by 86Woodgrain »

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 08:47:27 PM »
Looks real good. Excellent idea. Hopefully the finish will last a good long time.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk