Choose style:

Author Topic: Groan, vibration, and power loss  (Read 284 times)

Online knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Groan, vibration, and power loss
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 06:36:55 PM »
You might check your cat to see if it's plugged . The groan could come from exhaust being forced through the plugged cat when throttle is opened.

I'd thought about that as well, but it turns out a helpful burglar took off with the cat and replaced it with a straight pipe.

I think I'm on to the cause, though; I checked my throttle valve linkage again, and it's way out of whack.  I haven't adjusted it on account of throwing my back out, but I'm about to grab a stick to bite on and get it sorted.  We'll see what comes of it then.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
I'd thought about that as well, but it turns out a helpful burglar took off with the cat and replaced it with a straight pipe   
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/Smileys/default/rotfl.gif
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C
 '84 wagon parts

Online knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 02:40:42 AM »
Alright, so the throttle valve linkage wasn't way out of whack.  It was completely and totally wrong.  See, when I had checked it before, I still wasn't very familiar with how it should be set.   Combine that lack of familiarity with my failure to solidly parse the TSM instructions, and the result is my completely overlooking the fact that the clamp was rust welded to the trombone slide/clevis pin looking end (I actually had to twist the pin and break it free).

Long/short, my linkage may as well have not even been there, but it's now properly set and Eagle seems to be driving a lot better as a result.  We'll see if it fixed the problem once I get to the testing hill tomorrow morning.

Online knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
Well hot :censored:.  I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but things are looking better.  I went up the testing hill this morning.  At the point where nastiness generally occurs, we actually shifted instead of having any of the unpleasant effects I've described in this thread. 

This is the first time there's been a proper shift at this point since this stuff started happening, so it's seeming as though there were a lot of problems that existed independently, but showed symptoms under shared conditions. 

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 183
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 10:13:44 PM »
Good deal!  Glad things are improving for you!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online amarshall

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 10:10:36 PM »
Fingers crossed that the fix holds!  Always nice to get a win.
Wanted:  Rear axle hub
Any leads on 3.07 ratio front differential

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Online knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »
I appreciate the hopes and well-wishing!  It saddens me to report that this did not end up fully correcting the problem.  Got the power loss and rubbing groan again today, though it was on a flat road under an attempt to quickly accelerate.  I even went up Intermittent Problem Hill without trouble. 

Eagle's been my daily driver as I work on getting the Gremlin up and running, and as much as it bums me out to think this way, I think I'm going to have to sell it.  I don't want to kick the can down the road, but I just don't have the time or resources to direct towards fixing this wagon up to the degree it needs and deserves.  If anyone's in the PNW region and wants a fixer-upper, let me know.  I'll gladly take a running AMC of pretty much any model in trade.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.