News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello from Portland!  (Read 4507 times)

Offline KarlRichter

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Hello from Portland!
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:35:08 PM »
I made the unwise choice of buying someone else's project car, but here I am, the proud owner of a 1982 AMC eagle! I really need some help though. It seems to run OK, except for a loss of power at a certain RPM. It has had a carb swap, and from lurking on this forum, i'm pretty sure it's the motorcraft 2150. I have no idea on how to tune it so if anyone can point me to a guide, that would be awesome! It also has some really big tires on it that rub a bit when going over bumps, so I would like to see if I can give it a little lift as well. The end goal is a fun, funky off road machine!

Thanks!
Karl

edit: how do I post pics? edit: Nevermind.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:01:20 PM by KarlRichter »

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Hello from Portland!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:51:56 PM »
hello and welcome! nice Eagle. Looks like you have the Gronk carb update. As for lifts , I personally don't recommend them, but lots of others here do. I would just mount a set of smaller tires until all other issues are resolved, good luck, gz

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »
Looks like a fun project. I think you could email Gronk to get a copy of his carb installation instructions. Look for his listings on eBay for that carb kit.

Smaller tires are easiest, but I've done a lift recently so let me know if you have questions. From your picture, it looks like somebody has already been at work on your rear leaf shackles. That is a very shiny new bolt, and the shackles look longer and thicker than stock too. Stock shackles are 3-1/2" between bolt holes, so you may want to measure yours.  In the rear you can get add-a-leaf kits from Jeep Cherokees. For the front you will want either spring spacers (sketchy) or new taller springs. You can get 2" of lift from stock without going crazy.

Good luck!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline KarlRichter

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
So, I finely have had some time to work on the Eagle, but I am kind of stuck on the carb. I tried to email "Gronk" a couple times, but he hasn't gotten back to me. I found an old link to what I think are his instructions (http://files.meetup.com/633539/Installing%20the%20MotorCraft%20on%20a%20258.pdf ) but the link seems to be dead. If anyone has a working link to this PDF, I would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Karl

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »
I made this video awhile back after I did my swap on my 83. I'm not sure if this is exactly correct, but it should be a start for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85ZsZGytwI
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline KarlRichter

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the video! It looks like the carb is hooked up correctly, but I think it still needs to be tuned. When you first give the car gas, it stalls out at first and then gains power. Also, there is stuff on my carb that is not on yours. There looks like a terminal on the side of the round thing connected to the choke thats not hooked up to anything, and there is a brass valve of some kind on the back. (see pictures) Also, I think there may be an aftermarket distributor of some kind installed as well.

Also, do the rear leaf springs always look this flat?

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
Have you got your timing set?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline KarlRichter

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
I thought you guys might also appreciate the cookie sheet dashboard as well:

Offline KarlRichter

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
I just bought a shiny new timing light, so that is next on the list.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
lol love the gauge panel!  I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 02:16:34 AM »
Nice new project, good to see more Eagles in the Northwest .
When you say the brass thing next to the round thing, i think that should be your autochoke and vaccum powered lifter that runs off of it.
Basically autochoke is like a tempature sensitive spring coil that the vaccumed lifter (brass thing) lifts up and down off of what the autochoke thinks it needs to do, Are there any vaccum lines headed to the lifter? and is the autochoke powered? I strangely enough think i have the same issue, car wants to stall alot when it is cold and im 95% sure my choke isn't working correctly (haven't been able to pull either off yet, haven't had time to test). If your choke is working just fine i may be wrong though. For me it struggles when cold, and runs fine hot. If this is you. i'd maybe start there.
1987 AMC Eagle LTD (daily driver)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »
That's about right for the rear springs.  Looks like 4 leafs in the pack, which should be original.  They are pretty flat compared to many other vehicles.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline bottomfeeder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
Hey from across the river in Vancouver.  I just picked up my Eagle about a month ago and saw yours floating around Craigslist when I was hunting for one.  What size tires do you have?  I plan on getting those BF Goodrich's for myself  and am curious what you're running.

Offline hillbilly

• Formerly ozarkrebel
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • Gate City, VA
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »
You have what is called a hot air with electric assist choke." The brass valve " as you call it , is hooked to hollow tube that is hooked to the intake and exhaust crossover port on Fords. Eagles don't have the crossover. The terminals on the " round thing " is where its hooked up to a hot wire and a ground wire. Both the hot air tube and the wires  heat up the coil spring in the " round thing" that opens the choke as your engine warms up. The open " brass valve" is a source for a vacuum leak which will effect your idle. I blocked off the hot air port on mine and just use the electric assist, mine works fine even in winter and I live in VA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk