News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 12:11:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XJ Gauge cluster in an Eagle  (Read 7202 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
XJ Gauge cluster in an Eagle
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:57:30 AM »
With my upcoming swap I'm doing the full work over. All wiring is being swapped over and the old stuff (lighting mainly) is being adapted to fit.

Part of this is the XJ gauge cluster from the 94. I've been working on it a bit. I cut the gauge cluster off from the little status windows (separate circuits).

I've been working on this with an old dash, and I have an idea how to make it fit. Before I cut up another dash I have to ask if anyone e else has done this, or has any tips.

I will be posting pictures later to show my progress.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: XJ Gauge cluster in an Eagle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
Looking forward to the pictures.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »
I have 2 dashes left to work with before I am on my final dash. I had a excellent idea of how I'm going to do it though, should work out nicely in the end.

Just wish I had a lower KM gauge lol

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
I was looking at combining an 86 wagoner cluster with the eagle cluster to get gauges instead of idiot lights. it isn't a direct bolt over like I was hoping it to be, so I am interested to see how yours turns out.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »
I have seen this done somewhere on the web...I dont think it was here tho. The only other sites I visit are the amc forum and the evoloution....they had a pic of a jeep dash cluster installed in an eagle and it looks really good. They changed out the whole interior dash wiring. I will let you know if I think of who.
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
I'm still in the process of my total swap, everything from the XJ is going in (wiring included). Still figuring out the dash though.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
The idea I have now is this :

Eagle dash, delete the black plastic surround that holds the headlight / wiper switch / gauge cluster

Fabricate out of metal (or wood) a flat oval shaped plate (with screw tabs) that would slide into the same spot with the appropriate screw downs to attach it to the dash. Cut out the spot for the gauge cluster and information center, as well as a replacement hole for the headlight switch (wipers are on the column for the XJ).

Since the XJ cluser is larger than the Eagle one, this would pull it out a bit from the metal steering column brackets and give it a cleaner look.

For paint I was actually thinking Rockguard since it would nicely mimic the textured plastic in the stock surround.

I would like to do this in metal, but wood would be a lot cheaper and easier to get right. Once I had it done I'd use it as a template for sizing, etc, so I could eventually replace with metal.

For now, once I have my dash in, I'll be wrapping a towel around the gauge cluster and stuff and making sure it stays there until I can get the next step started.

Go me.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
I have one HO regular and several Renix XJ clusters on my for sale pile. 2 are full gauges (speedo, tach oil pressure, etc) I even have an '86 4 cyl one somewhere. One has the prndl built in (just basic) but it will probably go with the Comanche tilt/auto column I'm selling (it's cable shift. I used the cable in my Comanche)

When they went to HO, the speedometer cable went away and the speedo became electronic controller with a sender on the speedometer cable at the tcase.

I also saved a woodgrain dash from my '84 Eagle Limited wagon with the speedometer, etc. I really like the trip meter in my MJ. Makes keeping track of fuel economy easier.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:17:13 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Yeah, since I changed the wiring to all XJ I have to use the corrosponding cluster for simplicity sake because it's all electrical.

I'm wondering if there are any other ODB1 vehicles out there that share the same connector on the rear of the cluster.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
I don't recall if I saved that part of the harness from the '91? I saved all the EFI to go into my bird. I also found a skid plate from something (XJ or MJ probably) that fits my Eagle wagon gas tank.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Just an update.

I'm going to be removing the speedo from the Jeep and using that, then pinning out everything for the Eagle gauges. I also have the little gauge package on the shifter I'm going to hook up.

Hoping it's not too hard. If I can find the schematics for the 1994 XJ wiring it should be fairly simple.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
I might have a diagram for the jeep Gage cluster If Haynes thought it was important to include. My jeep wouldn't be much help though as it is a Amc produced renix model.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
The Renix models at least have a cable speedo. If you go electronic you can run both cable and electronic or either by using a '91 Wrangler TSS.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »
I almost have it done, will be putting it in the car in the next few days. I have some pics of it out and being worked on.

A VERY simple solution too ;)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
Looking forward to the pics, been watching this thread, cool idea
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk