News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hurst Shifter  (Read 2659 times)

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Hurst Shifter
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
Anyone ever install any of the Hurst cable shifters into their Eagle?

I am wondering if the drive shaft gets in the way of the bracket that holds the cable.
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon w/ 1988 258 and front axle, 727/NP-229 combo, Hurst shifter + twin sticks, and power bulge hood.

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: Hurst Shifter
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:43:06 PM »
Instead of making yet another thread on the infamous automatic shifter, I thought I'd bump this since I'm on the verge of breaking down and installing an aftermarket Hurst or B&M (all the same company now) automatic shifter on my 83 wagon and am looking for some extra input (or someone to give me a better alternative).

To cover/summarize the topics covered in other threads: My stock shifter's cable broke before my ownership of the car. The previous owner had defeated the locking pawl so the shifter could be moved, however this is unsafe and the main thing that's kept the car off the road. I've purchased three separate shifters from various Mustang vintages (including a NOS '74-'78 Mustang II shift handle) however they've all come up too short: the lever can't be extended into low without hitting the seats. Rebuilding the existing one isn't really an option here since it doesn't really seem like a viable option either both because it seems rather complex/tedious and it doesn't address the root cause of the problem leaving me open to this issue again in the future. I'd like to avoid the "coat hanger" fix and since we've already gotten the old shifter out, there doesn't seem to be much point in putting the old one back with a just a backyard fix.

The car has the original Sport gauge cluster console, which I'd like to keep. However, I'm doubtful any of the current aftermarket shifter offerings from B&M/Hurst could be made to fit in the opening without cutting the console.

Has anyone got any experience with after-market automatic shifters in their Eagles (installation, gripes, warnings, etc)? Better yet: anyone managed to get these installed into a stock console and make it look halfway decent/work correctly? Or on the flip side: anyone know what we might be missing to get the Mustang II shifter to work? I see it installed in other cars here on the forum...  :banghead:
'94 Crown Vic P71 (my baby) [permanently out to pasture :'( ]
'96 Crown Vic P71 (the new beast) [the primary driver]
'83 Eagle Sport Wagon [almost flying again]
'87 Eagle Sedan [running!]
'80 Honda Accord HB (aka Boing Boing) [the little one]

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:39:59 PM »
Hi, I put a B&M Sportshifter into my 82 sedan a few years ago.Worked well for years. good luck, gz

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:29:38 PM »
Thanks amcfool... that's somewhat reassuring. I'm leaning more towards the Megashifter, mainly due to personal preference (not wild about the "lift to shift" action of the Sportshifter). They seem to have virtually the same footprint and claim that the housing can be "trimmed to fit".

Did your 82 have a console in it?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:30:44 PM by djvanyel »
'94 Crown Vic P71 (my baby) [permanently out to pasture :'( ]
'96 Crown Vic P71 (the new beast) [the primary driver]
'83 Eagle Sport Wagon [almost flying again]
'87 Eagle Sedan [running!]
'80 Honda Accord HB (aka Boing Boing) [the little one]

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 11:41:02 PM »