News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lifting the Eagle 1-3"  (Read 27061 times)

Offline SilverEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Lifting the Eagle 1-3"
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
Having a little OCD I don't want to put spacers in with the old springs. Want to purchase the Javelin springs for the 1 inch, ( i assume thats in reference to stock ride height) as well as the spacers. I see there are three different part numbers for coil springs, one actually had a review from someone who installed them on a 83 eagle going to contact summit and moog to see what the difference is. In coordination with a 3/4 (.750) spacer should give me 1.5 there because the manufacturer states it will raise 2x the height of the spacer.  Or should i do 1/2 (.50)?
Constant rate springs are probably recommended as well???
And lastly, is there any type of notification I'm missing when someone replies? or I
 simply have to check, Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:41:44 PM by SilverEagle »
86 Eagle Wagon, Daily driver and fly fishing expedition vehicle.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
And lastly, is there any type of notification I'm missing when someone replies? or I
 simply have to check, Thanks Guys!

I believe there is a way to set it up in your profile to be notified when someone replies to your posts.  Check that out.  And they will also show up in the "Show Unread Posts Since last visit" button.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline SilverEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
Just got off the phone with summit racing.
Part # 3112 lists for 4/6/8 cyl  javelin
Part # 3156 lists for 6/8 cyl javelin (has review of customer using on an 83 eagle)
Part # 3140 lists for 4/6 cyl javelin.
Has anyone used either of three, have knowledge of handling differences, or which one is recommended?

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
I put new front springs in my wagon this spring.  I used some from NAPA, part number NCP 2773188.  From what I can tell, the specs are the same as the Moog 3156.  I did not use any additional spacers.  I measured before and after, and got almost exactly 2" of lift in the front.  I assume the springs I took out were the original stock springs, but no idea how worn out the old springs were.  The car had 114,000 miles if that gives you any clue.

I only had limited driving experience with the car before the spring job so i can't really compare the ride before and after.  But the ride with the NAPA springs is not harsh at all.  I've done a 2200 mile road trip including 1000 miles on dirt trails, and they held up just fine.

Getting the springs swapped is a tough job.  I had the best luck with an "internal style" spring compressor I rented from Autozone.  There isn't enough room under there to use a compressor that goes on the outside of the coil.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline SilverEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
Yeah, Ive taken them out before already when i replaced all my bushings and balljoints up front. I will do the springs first. i bet your eagle, as well as mine, was/is sagging which will show the two inches. I had planned on taking measurements as well. What method did you go with on the rear to match that? as far as from the side did your eagle seem to sit lower in the front? i have yet to find anyones decent pictures of the control arm gap to the unibody before and after the lift.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
In the back, I found that one of my original leaf packs had a snapped eye in front.  So I ended up getting some "stock spec" springs from Stengel Brothers and replaced them.  I also put in a full length add-a-leaf kit meant for a Jeep Cherokee XJ.  It was advertised as a 2" lift kit, and I got it from Iron Rock Offroad though I think others are available and are similar.  Finally, the bolts on my rear shackles snapped when I removed them so I had to use shackles from a Jeep CJ7.  The stock Eagle shackles are 3-1/2" long and the Jeep version I used was only 3" - so this lost me about 1/4" of height in the rear since they say you adjust by half the length.

Once I was all done, I measured front and rear at the sill and it was pretty level.  Within 1/4" front to back, with the rear just a hair low.  If I had stock shackles I would be dead level.  Frankly, it's not really noticeable and is probably due to my disappointment with the short rear shackles.  I may try finding some 4" shackles which should raise me another 1/2" in the back, and go for the "I just bought air shocks for my 1976 Camaro" look.

So, if you have stock rear springs with useable Eagle shackles I would highly recommend a full length 2" add-a-leaf kit.  Get new U-bolts too while you are at it. 

For the shocks, i used Eagle spec both front and back.  I used some short extensions in the back, they were needed.  I didn't need shock extensions in the front at all, since the difference in ride height where they attach was much less than the 2" (geoometry!).  My front shocks are serving as bump stops, they are the limiting factor for how far down the arms can droop.  That seems to be what the factory intended, and at full droop there is about 1/2" between the frame rail and the bottom side of the upper arms.  I didn't measure or take pics of the control arm gap before the swap, but I believe the change was minimal there - again because of the geometry.  It was certainly much less than 1" change at the sill, since it is so far inboard.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline thammerman

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
Just want to give a conformation on lift coils/spring since I just did both the front and rear.

I used new 74 Javelin coil springs in the front.  I already had a good height w/ no sagging but got a solid 1" lift.  I used new factory shocks w/ extenders, will upgrade those down the road.  It rides smooth, handles tight and doesn't bounce around when hitting pot holes.

I used new 88+ Jeep Cherokee RANCHO 2" lift springs in the rear.  New bushings were needed (and tricky to source)  I got a good 2.5-3"" lift in the rear end (at the bumper).   I wanted an aggressive stance and I got it.  I again used stock shocks w/ extenders.  Ride is excellent.  When I have the time, I will source the proper air shocks so I can utilize the factory air-ride suspension.

I am clearing 215 75 15's w/ no rubbing.  I installed a set of 225 75 15's and loved the look but the front rubbed on turns and I didn't want to trim.  If I was willing to trim the inner fenders and do a little adjusting, I could clear 235 75 15's.

I am very pleased with everything and have no regrets on any of the mods.

I had a professional alignment done and I get a "slight" vibration over 65 MPH.  Will align again after I do a 1000 mile shakedown.

:help: did you happen to get a part number for the bushings on the xj leaf swap? Also I was curious about a shackle choice and if a block combo would put me at 2 to 3 inches. Im hoping that that a arm swap mentioned was correct.

Offline westboundbiker

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2023, 12:17:30 PM »
Does anyone have updated part numbers for any of the coil springs listed here? I can't seem to find any of them across the web.  Considering that I've been seeing some recent issues with ESPO springs, I'm hesitant to go that route, and would prefer an off-the-shelf solution.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2023, 04:29:06 PM »
Kennedy American lists coil springs for Eagles.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk