News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 10:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrical Experts AW4 Mod question.  (Read 8932 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Electrical Experts AW4 Mod question.
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
I'm am going to be installing an AW4 transmission from a Jeep Cherokee into my Eagle to gain overdrive. It is an electronically controlled transmission. I have all the wiring figured out, it's rather simple actually, but I have one mod I want to make. The one downfall of the AW4 is that you can't select first and second gear independently. The gear selector has one location for first and second and the TCU, transmission control unit, decides what gear to put it in based on output shaft RPM and the throttle position sensor. There are two solenoids that are involved with first and second gear. Solenoid 1 is on and solenoid 2 is off for first gear.  Solenoid 1 is on and solenoid 2 is on for second gear. Others have used 2 toggle switches to either de-energize or energize solenoid 2 depending on which gear they want to be in. I want to use one switch. In my wonderful drawing below is a three position rocker switch. In up position, power will be taken away from solenoid 2 to keep the transmission in first gear. In the down position, 12vdc will be supplied to solenoid 2 to keep it in second gear. In the middle position it would run as designed allowing the TCU to energize solenoid 2 when it wants to via the jumper with a diode. Am I on the right track? Don't have a clue? Is there another switch that will allow me to do this easier? What type of diode for the jumper and should I have a diode on the relay between 85 and 86? Does there need to be a load on 87 when the relay is open? THANKS! Here's an article with using two toggle switches. http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/drivetrain/129_0606_aw4_jeep_cherokees_transmission_lock/index.html

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:05:11 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

rohnk

Re: Electrical Experts
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
I don't know anything about these transmissions but the principles are solid. I would worry about "switching transients" and/or arching from the switch depending on how much current is being switched. From the article you referenced, the 1N4002 is a general purpose rectifier that is very common and used in many applications. In this case, your need for the diode is to prevent feeding +12Vdc into the TCU output.

The 4004 and 4006 are better for reverse voltage ratings. This would be better in the case of switching transients caused by sudden changes in voltage. The 4004 in particular has a higher internal capacitance which will also help to smooth these peak voltages out. Why am I worried about this? Because I dod not know how robust the electronics in the transmissions are and I don't know the specs for the TCU inputs/outputs. Better to go with a slighty larger rated diode that is more common and be safe. They all operate at the same currents which is 1 amp.

Using two switches is also a safer option IMHO. Using a double ended rocker may lead to an accidental switch if your elbow hits it on a big bump. Two switches also removes some of the confusion (at least for me). Also, if you use lighted switches, you can use different colors for each gear in case your wheeling a little late into the evening or early in the morning.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
Thanks for your input Rohn. I think two switches would be confusing for me. So the 1N4002 should probably be fine? I posted this on another forum and a guy made a good point that I could use a single pole switch, instead of a double pole, by just attaching the line coming from 87a right to solenoid 2. He also changed my diagram in case I wanted to install some idiot lights which I just may do.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »
 :occasion14: This is one mod I've been meaning to do, I'll be watching to see how you make out, if you don't mind me looking over your shoulder, lol.  :lurk:
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
:occasion14: This is one mod I've been meaning to do, I'll be watching to see how you make out, if you don't mind me looking over your shoulder, lol.  :lurk:
Not at all. It might be a few weeks before I have it all said an done and I plan on doing a write up to make it easy for others. I still have a couple parts to collect to convert the 2000 Aw4 I have, into an earlier one. I may also take it to a trannsmission guy and have a Transgo reprogramming kit installed also. The more research I do, the easier the swap seems, except for muscling the trans in and out of course.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
Re: Electrical Experts AW4 Mod question.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »
Nice, shift improver kits are pretty straight forward, never done one on an aw4, but several on gm trans'.  Don't go too far, I made that mistake on my car, now I can't use my cd player around town,  >:D , and for some odd reason my rear tires are prematurly going bald  ::) . lol
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
:occasion14: This is one mod I've been meaning to do, I'll be watching to see how you make out, if you don't mind me looking over your shoulder, lol.  :lurk:
Not at all. It might be a few weeks before I have it all said an done and I plan on doing a write up to make it easy for others. I still have a couple parts to collect to convert the 2000 Aw4 I have, into an earlier one. I may also take it to a trannsmission guy and have a Transgo reprogramming kit installed also. The more research I do, the easier the swap seems, except for muscling the trans in and out of course.
Transgo doesn't make a kit for them AFAIK. It's all electric solenoid and computer controlled.
Search AW4 shifting
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »
Transgo doesn't make a kit for them AFAIK. It's all electric solenoid and computer controlled.
Search AW4 shifting

The link I posted says otherwise and others in the Jeep community have used it. I have no desire to have a manual box. I want it to work like an auto transmission and if I get into any bad stuff and need to keep it in first gear, I want the option of  doing that.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »
http://transgoonline.com/products.php?prd=340-HD2&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=149&parent_id=45&product_id=254&countdisplay=1&start=0&addcountview=Yes

Changes the springs and  a couple valves with in the body, higher pressures, quicker springs, = your firmer shift. It shouldn't change anything with the electronic end.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »

Shift kits will always be available for automatic transmissions, regardless if they are considered "Hydraulically controlled" or "electronically controlled". They both use the exact some components and operating principles to function.

Electronically controlled transmissions have solenoids that open and close passages in the valve body. That controls when it shifts, but not how it shifts. Spring pressure and circulation of hydraulic fluid is still the deciding factor in its operation.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:26:37 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline anrkii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
Just buy one of these, and throw ALL of the electrical crap away.

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/Baja.html

They have a little version of it for $85 as well.

I love manually shifted autos!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
I've seen those. Honestly, if I wanted to shift, I'd get a manual transmission and get the full advantage of a manual transmission. I've been working out of town too much and haven't had a chance to tackle the swap yet. Heck, I don't think I have driven my 86 Eagle in over a month.

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
The measurements I took between bellhousing surface and trans mounting surface:

25-1/4" long for my 1992 AW4
22-3/8" for TF998
22-1/2" for TF727

24" for my AX15/NSG370/NV3550
21-3/4" for T5/T4/SR4

How do you plan on accounting for the extra three inches of length for the AW4? I'm also planning this same swap and have been interested in doing the same wiring upgrade this thread is about.

My plan is to use a NP242 behind the AW4. I already have an NP242 now with an XJ slip yoke added directly to my original driveshaft Ujoint. My original Eagle driveshaft has a three inch piece of pipe added to limit the range of the old slip yoke, necessary to keep both slip yokes from working together and letting the driveshaft fall out of place. I figure I can use an original driveshaft without a problem because the driveshaft will be at the extreme bottom of its range of motion, making it three inches shorter than it currently is. That solves my rear driveshaft difference without any effort.

On the front driveshaft there is about an inch or two of adjustment available from the slip yoke, necessary to keep the engine vibrations from damaging the Ujoint. Because the front axle is bolted directly to the engine the driveshaft doesn't need a slip yoke in a sense. The actual range of motion it needs to provide is less than an 1/8" inch, even though the slip yoke is several inches long. It may work as is with the AW4. If it doesn't quite reach I hoped to use a longer output yoke on the transfer case. Here is a picture of three output yokes lined up. They came from a NP242, a NP249, and an Eagle NP129. I forget which is which except that the shortest is the Eagle one. Normally I switch to the shortest one, the original Eagle yoke, when I install an NP242. I figure I can just keep the NP242 long yoke or find a 249 long yoke to make up for an inch or two of the three inch difference in length. That should make the front driveshaft work as is.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 11:08:13 PM »

How do you plan on accounting for the extra three inches of length for the AW4? 

I was going to tackle that when I got to that point.

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 11:56:53 PM »
I was going to tackle that when I got to that point.

I think that's funny. I put alot of thought into the driveshafts and other mechanical details but dismissed the electrical details as something to worry about after I have it all bolted together. You're pregaming for the swap by researching the electrical details and you're dismissing the bolt together details as something to worry about along the way. I think it's an ironic difference in perspective.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 01:37:33 AM »
I worry about the electrics afterwards too. I can MAKE things fit. On SOTE, I said only 1/2 of what was cut away needed doing because that was how I would do it. Test fit, cut to fit then mod the floor for it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk