News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: good experience at oriellys  (Read 15650 times)

Offline sammuel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
good experience at oriellys
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
So went into oriellys auto parts today to get the parts for a TFI upgrade the lady behind the counter knew what an eagle was and actually was previously the owner of one had a nice time chatting.

PS the TFI parts where not all there they are on order but they actually had all the parts in stock at the store if I had wanted an OEM replacement for the eagle that struck me as something that doesn't happen often
1982 Eagle wagon i6 the "almost drives" bad tranny
1982 Eagle wagon i6 no tranny/title parts car
1994 chevy 6.5 diesel 3/4ton
1981 Yamaha Maxim XJ550

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: good experience at oriellys
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
I have worked for O'Reilly for years and I love the company I work for.  I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:03:18 AM »
Ive always had very good luck with them too...I wish I had one near me...all I got is autozone and car quest their descent but like you said O'Riellys/checker is by my favorite.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Experience at auto parts stores
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
I had worked the counter at O'Reilly's for over two years and what I can assure you is that it's the personnel that make all the difference.  For the most part, finding a reliable worker regardless of knowledge or experience is foremost in this part of the country (NO work ethic whatsoever.)  I've been in the parts and service end of automobiles for almost 40 years now and I have a customer following that finds my ASE Certified butt wherever I go (currently CarQuest), and I appreciate them as much as they appreciate me.  Value your parts tech! :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Experience at auto parts stores
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
I had worked the counter at O'Reilly's for over two years and what I can assure you is that it's the personnel that make all the difference.  For the most part, finding a reliable worker regardless of knowledge or experience is foremost in this part of the country (NO work ethic whatsoever.)  I've been in the parts and service end of automobiles for almost 40 years now and I have a customer following that finds my ASE Certified butt wherever I go (currently CarQuest), and I appreciate them as much as they appreciate me.  Value your parts tech! :amc:

Well said on all counts.  You need to appreciate your parts people.  It seems like it is all to common for the parts guys to be judged before customers even interact with them.  If I had a nickel for every time I heard, "I know more than the guys at the parts house."  I too am ASE Certified, parts and Automotive.  I have been behind the counter for 8 years and in this management job for 3.  I got told by a retail customer today that I didn't know what I was talking about... *sigh*  It is a tough business because in the parts world your customers come in already upset because their car is broken.  It definitely takes a special type of person to stay in that industry... or a crazy person :)
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: Experience at auto parts stores
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »
I have been behind the counter for 8 years and in this management job for 3.  I got told by a retail customer today that I didn't know what I was talking about... *sigh*  

I work in a shop, and occasionally I'll do a service advisor job for the day to fill in.. and what people 'think' they know, is insane.

I've had a lot of good luck with parts guys lately.. but I've also had some awful ones. The most ridiculous being a 'manager' telling me that my car didn't have a driveshaft, so he couldn't order me U-joint straps. I guess it ran on magic.  ;D

For the GOOD parts people though, thank you.. and don't quit your job!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:20:25 AM by Sunny »

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Parts Techs
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:45 AM »
Yes, I'm crazy, and I have no intention of leaving this (frustrating sometimes) rewarding job! :amc:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:11:51 AM by mechanic80 »

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »
Didn't know there were this many parts guys on here, lol. I've been at it for about 11 years now, it's definitly a love-hate type of job.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
Didn't know there were this many parts guys on here, lol. I've been at it for about 11 years now, it's definitly a love-hate type of job.

I've actually looked in to it here, but most 'chain' parts stores around here pay horribly. Not sure if private ones are any better.

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Parts stores
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
Independent parts stores are being pushed out by the chains, and the chains are all about profit for their shareholders.  That being said, I left "the (cheap) green shamrock" last year for CarQuest,  a decent wage, reasonable hours and human treatment.  Of course, 35+ years experience and ASE Certification helps. :amc:

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
That's why I switched to dealerships as opposed to aftermarket, still not great pay (depends on the dealer), but not horrible.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »

I've actually looked in to it here, but most 'chain' parts stores around here pay horribly. Not sure if private ones are any better.

I have changed parts jobs a couple times and I have found the same thing (at least in my area).  You always have to prove yourself.  My last store change I took a $4.00/hr pay cut to make the move and eventually earned it back after showing my skills.  Your previous credentials get you the job but the pay comes with knowledge, sales and customer service.  As we have said before good parts guys are hard to come by and if you show the right attitude, good service and parts knowledge a parts house WILL pay you.  

As far as independent parts houses, it all depends on the owner.  I worked for one for a while and it was awful.  I was there 2.5 years and every day was just bad.  I could write a book on it but if that's somethign you want to try interview the owner before you accept.  
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
I usually have good luck at O'Reilly's.  They're my first choice.  However, the next to last time I  went there I left because they were short handed and it didn't look like I would get waited on.  Guess someone didn't come in to work that day.  It can happen to anyone - it happens where I work.
As in all the parts stores it depends on the individual behind the counter.  My main complaint with O'Reilly's is that I hardly ever see the same people in there a second time.  I once had a great experience with a helpful, knowledgeable black lady.  I've never seen her again.  At Advance and NAPA I usually see the same people.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 03:45:23 AM »
At Advance and NAPA I usually see the same people.

I was actually in the USA for 10 days, just came back a few days ago. I made a few trips to Advance and NAPA. I found NAPA a lot more helpful.

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »
  A good parts man will grab the book before  the computer!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk