News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 11:32:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Road trip to Alaska planning.  (Read 8020 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Road trip to Alaska planning.
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
Based on some replies on Mach1's Far North Eagle thread, it appears at least a couple of us would be interested in a road trip to AK. Let me preface this with the fact that I don't think I can make this happen next year. I really need to get some life stuff in order. A divorce 3 years ago and bad financial decisions caused the loss of my last house, I would really like to be in my own house about this time next year, so I need to buckle down on the finances.  The monster eagle and my recent motorcycle purchase have side tracked that plan. However, sometimes things change, so lets do some preliminary planning without a date. However, if a couple of you want to decide on a date that's fine also.

Maybe if we start with a template it will be easier to read the thread as it goes on.

(Copy and Paste this and add on a subject you think needs to be there)

Starting Point:

Destination:

Time of year:

Length of trip:

Projected miles covered per day:

Sleeping/Camping/Lodging:

Food:

Fuel Costs:

Spare Parts:

I'll start.

Starting Point: For me it will most likely be Fayetteville, TN. Like I said in the other thread, I would really like to start at Key West, FL.

Destination: I picked Deadhorse, AK because it is above the Arctic Circle and at the end of the Dalton Highway. The Dalton Highway will probably be the toughest part on the old birds.

Time of year: My reasearch says May-June is best. Someone in the area may chime in on this.

Length of trip: I'd like to stop and smell the roses along the way but not sure that is doable because of the amount of miles. At least 2 weeks round trip. Like the Captain said in the other thread, maybe budget for 3 weeks.

Projected miles covered per day: I'm not a speeder. I usually stay in the right lane not exceeding the speed limit. I can do 700 miles easily a day, depending on the speed limit. If it's country roads, that will mean less miles or a longer day. 600 miles a day is probably a fair average, depending on weather and vehicle issues.

Sleeping/Camping/Lodging: This could eat up a lot of money fast. Stopping in campgrounds would save a lot of money. Also, there may be opportunities to stay at a forum members house if the route passes by. I'm a member of  several forums and could probably find at least a couple people along the way to impose on.  ;D

Food: This is another place that can eat up money. I've gone vegetarian a few months ago, so it's difficult to find road food. Which is good because it keeps me away from the fast junk. I would like to stop at a grocery store and buy a few days worth of food at time. We would hopefully eat healthier and save money. I would consider a 12v fridge like an ARB fridge or even one of those plug in coolers might work.

Fuel Costs: Currently either of my Eagles get about mid 16 MPG. I would like to take the 6cyl. Eagle. I've had all the stuff to go EFI for a while and hope to start installing it very soon. I also have a AW4 I want to install. So hopefully those will contribute to better MPG. But, for now I'll use the 16.5 mpg figure. We have no idea what fuel costs will be next year,  so I will use $4.75 a gallon since Canada is a bit higher than the US. It will be close to $3,000 in fuel for me round trip.  :o

Spare Parts: You would almost want to bring a whole car.  ;D My list starts with 3 of each belt, water pump, idler pulley, cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, distributor, coil, fuel pump. I'm running an MSD, so I would want to bring an extra MSD box. Starter, radiator hoses, miscellaneous fuel and heater hoses, front cv axle, 2 spare tires, a bunch of all the fluids. A bunch of tools and stuff to make repairs, tire plug kit, tapes, bailing wire, cable ties, JB Weld. Some sort of air supply either, CO2 or on board air. However, bringing all this stuff may add more stress on the car and actually cause a failure that may not otherwise have happened.

I want to build a trailer that will use the same size tires of the car. I already have the axle and springs that I special ordered to my specs. I don't notice much of a decrease in MPG towing a trailer.
I want it to look like these:

But I'm leaning towards using a small pick up bed on a custom frame for cost and ease of build:

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

Re: Road trip to Alaska planning.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
I'm gonna be more vague here, but I'd certainly like to be in the know for when this goes down. Depending on when and where I'm at financially and just in life I would love to take the time off to film this entire trip. Sounds like a great documentary in the works. It would require probably interviewing everyone along the way.

Sounds like you've got it pretty well planned. I'm fine with camping the whole way. When I took a 3 day trip to CO I was able to find free places to stay every night...may or may not have been legal in some cases, but it worked. I even found one campsite that was a pay and talked to the camp "director" and they informed me of a place I could stay for free not too far down the road. Not to mention like you said we could probably find some nice forum members along the way.

When it gets closer to the date planning out the route specifically would be best and trying to hit a few attractions along the way would be good.

I wouldn't be taking my own Eagle though. It would be too much work having to try and film and drive and worry about all that is involved with driving. So I could either ride with you the whole time eaglefreek or jump around cars should other people be joining.

I would also probably try to start up a kickstarter page for the documentary asking for a certain amount of money. Should I meet the goal I'd certain kick out some money for gas for those involved in the movie. I'm not promising to cover gas, just saying I'd hope to get enough money to cover the cost of some equipments and other needs for the documentary as well as cover some of the costs for you guys. Details in this aspect could be covered later on.

All in all it sounds like a fun trip and I look forward to see where this goes.

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
I'd be in to doing this. It would take a bit of time to plan though as you guys are eluding too. I like the idea Rafe has of making a movie about the trip, why, who, where, what is along the way.

For my contribution, I am very good at setting up events and planning. I would take the avenue of looking for trip sponsors like auto parts stores, magazine article, local businesses. We could ask businesses to chip in X amount of dollars for a vinyl decal of there company and garanteed plug in the movie. If we can get a magazine on board, they would write all the sponsors in.

I've also been told that I have a knack for writing. I might have to write about the trip and author the book.

Boy, now we are deaming! Wouldn't it be cool though!

rohnk

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
Just looked it up, and for me the trip is 4,000 miles if I take the ferry over Lake Michigan! Google Earth says it would take 3 days and 14 hours.

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »
I like the way you are thinking Rohn. The Kickstarter page I'm eluding about can be setup in many ways. One could have one of the top tiers of payment include the vinyl sticker decal for the cars. If we had some big sponsors like that then I could ask to raise a bunch more money and then everyone would get their gas paid for.

Other sponsors to consider. Tire Company. Big Repair shops such as Firestone. Tools like Craftsman, maybe they could give a travel kit to all the cars involved. CB company...all the cars could be equipped with CB units so we could communicate better. Rain X? Oil?

It could get big...or potential sponsors may not see a benefit, but getting some magazine exposure for them and possibly movie exposure would sweeten the pot! :)

rohnk

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
I checked the routes for all three of us for grins and it has the three of us meeting up just south of Fargo, ND. Eaglefreek and I could meet up at Maple Grove, MN just NW of Minneapolis. Curiously though it has Eaglefreek taking a different path through MS than Rafe.

Prafeston

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »
I'd probably like to start with Eaglefreek. Just seems better to have a starting point than having to meet up somewhere along the route. Especially if I'm filming it.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
Since we're all driving Eagles we can post a list of spare parts we are each carrying. Spare tires are the most important, but even then one tire per vehicle is more than enough. We should also have plug supplies and onboard air available.

I also think we need to make two universal tow bars tailored specifically for our Eagles. I can provide one of them. If an Eagle does break down we can make that into a trailer as well. I'm also game to tow another Eagle during the highway sections of the trip to save driver fatigue. The idea of two cars driven by one driver appeals to me.

If we have three Eagles break down, I'm certain we can fix one of the three using spare parts or parts from the other two. We'll be invincible if we have five or more Eagles in the caravan. I consider that the minimum number of Eagles that need to participate. Two of them could be mine. I may need a volunteer to drive my station wagon.

I expect a fuel mileage of 25 highway and no less than 20 with my stickshift fuel injected Eagles.

In order to undertake such a trip realize that part of the cost is a fresh set of tires. I will buy a set of tires specifically for the trip. I would expect everyone to have tires less than a year old.

I personally expect such a trip to be taken by people who like to camp. We'll be up rather far into the wild unknown. I figure we should stop at a hotel about every other day or every third day for a quality shower and night's sleep, with camping supplies meeting our needs in between. It will demand stamina. At some point we'll be crawling out of our skin to get out of the car seat.

I'm thinking June 2013. This will realistically take a year to put together, but if we put it off too far it just won't happen. We need to have steadfast conviction and a reliable deadline.

Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
If nothing else, I would support your efforts with a little $ (via Kickstarter of course).  It sounds like a fun trip, but would probably be too much for me.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Prafeston

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »
Of course! Obviously one of the packages would include a DVD copy of the trip so if anything you could live vicariously through us! :) Also a cheaper option would probably just be a digital download of some sort. The details of this would be something I'd have to come up with later. There would probably be options ranging from $5-$5000. Obviously the 5k one would be like the executive producer and probably the main sponsor that would have some sore of vinyl overlay on one of the Eagles...if Eaglefreek wouldn't mind doing that. It also depends on what kind of interest we could get in the road trip.

Can't wait to see where this ends up going. Maybe we are thinking to big...but hey it's fun to dream! :)

Prafeston

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
Eaglefreek also owns a Festiva. Would make a nice trailer don't you think? Also should someone brake down bad it would be a gas saving parts runner!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 03:34:22 AM »
Come on guys.  You hijack my thread and now you are planning a trip to my hood with out me :) ... Just kidding.  I will open my home to any Eagle Nest members if you come up.  I dont have a big place but we can make it happen.  My only Eagle goal up here left is Prudhoe Bay.  Anchorage is in the opposite direction of that for those driving in but maybe we can tour. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:15:29 AM »
As far as the camping aspect I would budget some time for rain.  When I drove up from California 4 years ago it rained on me for 4 days straight in Canada.  I still camped but it slowed my progress and after a couple days of that I would get a room and dry my stuff out.  If you guys aren't to proud you can double up on rooms to cut costs. 

Driving time can go long too.  It is the far north.  In June we have all day daylight and if you feel spunky you can drive till 2 am with no lighting issues.  Likewise if you over do it and get a late start to rest you can make it up easily. 

As far as parts.  I was crazy about trying to bring stuff.  I became very honest with myself about what repair I would do on the side of the road anyway.  This made me bring less.  Tire stuff is most important and will be the thing you want to focus on.  I would bring a spare with wheel, plug kit and an air source.  Lets use each other and if you'all are traveling up together maybe less tools and sharing will be more efficient. 

Anyway, I'm all excited so I cant type anymore.  Coming up with too many ideas.  I want to take a longer trip but I'm already in Alaska.  Let's make this happen!!! 
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 09:37:48 AM »
My adventurer side would love to say yes to June 2013, but my wallet says NO! Without going into too much detail, I was in much better financial shape over 10 years ago than I am today. Along with the fuel and other costs, I would lose a couple weeks of pay, since I only get one week paid vacation. Unless something amazing happens and a pile of cash falls in my lap, I can't do it next year.  :(
There has been some mention of sponsors. I see no reason why anybody would sponsor something like this, unless it was to raise money for a charity. Not to mention, I would feel a whole lot better using all that gasoline, if it was for a good cause. If you would want to go that route, I would pick an international charity that is relevant to the US and Canada, since there is a lot of driving in Canada also. Maybe a hotel chain could donate lodging, AAA and CAA could donate roadside assistance if needed, Rock Auto could donate some parts, Subway could donate food along the route......... Money for the charity would be collected along the route and a Paypal account would be set up to take online donations.
Here are some ideas for charities to support, (note some are  US based only)
http://www.warchild.org/
http://www.operationsmile.org/
http://www.raptorresearchfoundation.org/
http://www.eagles.org/
http://www.endangeredspeciesinternational.org/
http://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »
I'm not willing to put stickers on my Eagle for any reason. They irk me at the deepest level. It reminds me of seeing "Jegs" and "Summit" plastered on the primered side of a Honda Civic in desperate need of paint and a new muffler.

It's easy to get behind financially when you see someone selling a $22,000 dollar investment for a mere $10,000. No shame in that purchase and the related financial burden it must have caused. In my case it was a $9,000 dollar AMC 401 sold to me for $4500 last week. I'll need time to replenish my obnoxious Eagle budget as well.

Now that you have the monster Eagle, you could always let your older but nearly as awesome wagon roost elsewhere. I figure you should go on the trip driving that station wagon and then let it return home with me. I'd cover all your gas costs as a purchase price and you'd have the best farewell voyage a man and his beloved beast can wish for.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Prafeston

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »
Kick starter has you set a goal to reach and then like 50% of what you make after racing that goal goes to a charity of your choice. Just throwing that out there. And as far as stickers go I was thinking vinyl overlays just for the rear side hatch windows. Not like plastering the cart with little stupid stickers.

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
I like the idea. I'm sure there's no way I could do something like that, but you sure dream big. I thought I was dreaming big when I wanted to have a 360 Eagle & you're planning a trip to Alaska & back. Good luck to everyone. THAT would definitely be a road trip.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
There is certainly potential here for decreasing the costs a noticeable amount through those efforts. I was imagining more of a posterboard with "AMC Eagle Nest" and other sponsors that can be set up at each picture taking location. It would be seperate from the cars but well featured as part of the trip. The DVD is an important effort for all those who share our dreams in spirit.

I also consider 5x7 flags like a funeral procession would have fair game. That could have a sponsors logo on it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:50:40 AM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
I just wanted to keep this one alive and keep everyone excited.  I have the SX4 now and I am going to start a push to have both cars going and have the wife drive one.  When I came up on vacation in 2008 I had a year to plan and it all came together.  Lets keep it going and have the End of the Road Eagle Meet next summer!!!
Fleet:

1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk