News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diesel/Gas Electric Eagle - would it fly?  (Read 27365 times)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Diesel/Gas Electric Eagle - would it fly?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 10:30:30 PM »
canoe: hmm, you've got me hooked, I can't wait to see it!

now, if you gave it 4-wheel steering along with 4 independent motors...that could get WAY COOL!! ;D

See it?
Well, I do buy lottery tickets...

rear wheel steering?
I can't even figure out how to make it independent rear suspension to lose the rear diff and axle!

But the aftermarket part for the Audi Allroad air suspension looks interesting. Lose the front spring. Lose all but the primary rear leaf. More weight gone, and adjustable suspension.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »
wish I had their money to work with...

http://www.gizmag.com/oshkosh-diesel-electric-hybrid-baja-1000-desert-race/16963/

diesel engine powers an electric generator, which provides direct power to the wheels, eliminating the torque converter, automatic transmission, transfer case and drive shafts. The system has no batteries, using ultracapacitors for energy storage.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:04 PM »
... look for diesel/hydraulic hybrids. They are being tested in UPS trucks right now and the results are astounding.

Works well for years in Holder tractors. The diesel-to-pump output pressure can even be electronically regulated and hence pulsed to the drive motors instead of letting them spin freely due to torque. Think of it as ABS-like drive. (not for our use, but additional hydraulic loads can be added (power-take-off) and electronic control priority can be assigned to either the drive wheels or the PTO; with priority assigned to PTO, as the PTO load varies the PTO RPM is maintained - constant velocity PTO!)
Down side is the weight of the hydraulic motors at the wheels - they have to be very robust, as does the pump and the controllers. Fine for a tractor, and apparently a delivery truck, but the pump, hydraulic controllers and motors are a lot of weight compared to a generator and electric motors.

The diesel-hydraulic has to change it's RPM to provide speed control. Electric allows the diesel to run at an optimum RPM/load (optimize efficiency and emissions) and the excess is stored until needed, something hydraulic can't do. I note that Oshkosh is going the route of ultra capacitors, not batteries.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »
Interesting concept.  If I was doing this I would probably replace the power plant as our auto transmissions need that throttle rod -- or would one just keep it in Drive?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »

HI Iowaeagle can you tell me why no body wants to talk to me about the electrick Eagle .....

IT would be nice to toss some ideas around a little ..It would get about 120 miles per gallon...

I could live with that .With a smile    ...............Don
Probably because of cost, range and knowledge to pull it off. If I were to do an electric vehicle it  would be something small and light like my Festiva buy have no desire.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
I have nothing against electric powered vehicles actually fond of them. I think they would be great in a metropolitan or dense suburb area but for me it wouldn't be beneficial. I have to drive 12 miles to get into town where there are a few stores. To go to the big town it is 25+ miles. I've put 8,000 miles on my Festiva in the  3 months that I have owned it.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »

HI Iowaeagle can you tell me why no body wants to talk to me about the electrick Eagle .....

IT would be nice to toss some ideas around a little ..It would get about 120 miles per gallon...

I could live with that .With a smile    ...............Don

Sorry for the late response.  I was out of the state for a few days.  I have no idea why, either.  I find it an interesting concept.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
            HI    I could not have a E car with a 50 mile range .The one I want to build has a gas one Cly motor that
                     runs a generator that supplies electric to the drive motor .I have tested the gen setup with a 5 gal
                     tank running the gen until it ran out of gas ..it ran for 13 hours non stop ....my dad lives in ten on
                     the ten river  and it is 11 hours from here I could drive to his house and 2 hours run time left....

That is around 125 miles per gal.....the range there is on range as long as you have gas you can
                       keep going now this is what I want to build................Don

I forgot there is only 2 battares
Did you test it with the same load it will see with the electric motor moving the Eagle? I would assume the generator would use a lot more fuel with a heavy load on it. Would this generator supply enough juice to keep the batteries charged and motor turning at highway speeds. Check out Neil Young's Lincvolt. Quite an interesting vehicle. 500hp electric motor with a micro turbine powered generator. http://www.lincvolt.com/

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
check out any forklift repair outfits in your area, i've worked on elec. forklifts for years and they weigh around 10,000 lbs. for a small one. and those motors zip them around just fine. raymond and crown are the best ones out there, you should be able to pick up a reman mtr. for a couple grand. sounds like a fun project. keep us updated. LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
sorry, i ment to say one heck of a diesel-eletric snow rig.

teneagle, i used to work on raymond and crown. raymond were the best.
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
go to www.raymondcorp.com they used to have d.c. systems but they changed to a.c. a few years ago. they are also pioneering fuel cell technology in their lifts. the ac sys. used a dc batt. with an inverter to run the ac motors, they also had re-gen. braking. contrary to popular belief and much sales hype regenerative braking DOES NOT charge the battery. the battery is used as a dump so the excess voltage has a place to go. before that they used very large rectifiers to hold the excess. see if there is a Raymond dealer or service center near you, they usually have rebuilt motors that are much cheaper than new (1500usd) and they will probably be able to help you with controllers and assd. hardware. hope this helps a bit, LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
found this link on another forum, it might give you an idea what others are working on. LAZ

http://gas2.org/2009/06/15/huge-electric-semi-would-transform-trucking/
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

Offline kalve

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »
sounds like a good idea if somebody could get it to work
64 T bird landau
70 Cougar Convertible Hurst 4 speed
74 F250 Crewcab shortbed
85 Eagle Wagon 4wd

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 06:31:47 AM »
This is what we are looking for, even the color is very Eaglish.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/peugeot/peugeot-508-rxh-29-08-11.asp

It has a 160HP diesel engine for the front wheels and 40Hp electric motors on the rear, nice!
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk