News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:01:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "hands off approach"  (Read 13837 times)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: "hands off approach"
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 10:55:22 PM »
Yeah, the mass email thing has been mentioned.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
You guys have positively ruined other forums for me. And I'm not even mad.  Now that I'm once again spreading my search, there is a few cars that I wanted to look at forums for, because I really believe it's one of the best ways to learn and get a network of helpful friends.  I have tried one for Daytonas, and one for Datsuns, and I can't get over how rude people are.  It's like they all think only they are right, and can't even imagine they still have something to learn.  I'm very reluctant to start a new profile somewhere else, because it's not a good community there, like there is here.  I have not once felt attacked or put down by anyone.  I guess it's one reason I'm still leaning towards the eagle, is because people are helpful around here, and If I have a question relating to my car, I don't have to ask someone who berates me for my question.  I saw a notice on one forum stating that if you have the word "Help" in your title, you will get banned. 
So to sum this up, I say keep up the hard work, I don't see any reason to change how things are managed here.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Kyle.  We have a great group of folks here who do treat everyone with respect.  I took myself off of a FB group that someone else signed me up for because I dared to mention a full sized AMC as a 70's street machine. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
I am still quite happy with the hands off approach, how about the rest of the admins?
Also, Prafeston mentioned consolidating some of the topics? Any ideas on this? I liked Prafeston’s suggestions.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
I think "hand's-off" is working fine for the web site - at least until some occasional wackos sneak into Eagledom!   From what I've seen, the Den seems to be the nicest car-related group in the whole freakin' world - with little-to-no policing needed!

I got suckered into being a moderator for my subdivision's NextDoor feed.   Just by reading the posts there, I quickly ID'ed all of the subdivision's nutballs I never knew existed - I never dreamed we'd have so many for a small subdiv (180 lot owners; plus kids and spouses of course).   Now I know why I don't do Facebook or other social media crap!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
The hands off approach seems to be working fine, and everyone seems to behave themselves.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it lol

Some consolidation may make the site easier to navigate, but for those of us who have been here awhile then we'd have to learn the new layout lol.  I re-read the previous posts, and a point I made earlier was that if you move things around, do links in the threads get broken because a thread is moved to a new location, or the main heading is renamed?  I also think consolidation would be a monumental task.

One change I think should be made is consolidating the "New Items for Sale" button back into the "Unread Posts" button.  I think this was split out when there was a lot of interaction with the Facebook page.  Now I think that people don't look at the new For Sale posts, and it would make it easier if they were just part of the main Unread Posts button.  Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:22:06 AM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 02:04:45 PM »
I also think for sale should be in the main forum.

AMC of Houston. you made me read that 2nd paragraph first sentence over. almost thought I was being picked on lol.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 03:53:08 PM »
Bwaahahah -- I never pick on Eaglers!!

I forgot to address the For Sale thing.  I'd like to have it back on the main feed too - not many go to look at that right now; even when they need parts!   I know I don't think of it much; but I do have stuff to sell!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. As for the for sale section, being in “classified” now should it be moved?
Thanks, T

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 04:01:57 PM »
I don’t think of a topic is moved the link would change, like if someone had posted the link on a different site or a different topic as a reference. I’ll test it.
I also like the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it approach too.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
I don't think that the For Sale should be moved out of classified, its just that any new posts in the the "Classified" section used to show up when you pushed "Show unread posts since last visit."  For some reason, I think related to the Facebook page, there was a new button created "SHow new items for sale since last visit."  A lot of times people aren't aware or don't take the time to push the new button, and so those posts don't get seen as often as they should.  If the "new items for sale" posts showed up in the normal "Show unread posts", we'd be returning to the way it was and it would be more effective.  Thanks for considering this!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 01:28:48 PM »
What VanGrem said!!   That's what I meant in my previous post; but VG said it much more clearly!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »
I know the “show unread posts” button at the bottom of the page works, however at least for me the one my my profile picture doesn’t.
I haven’t noticed classified items not showing when the button is clicked.
Is this what everyone else is seeing or are there differences ?
Thank,
T
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:30:24 PM by Taylor »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
so I think I screenshot the issue on a android. not certain of any other. so above the body of the forum it shows for sale since last visit. than near your profile it does not. it is split up. if we could join those into the same it would be what we want.

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 03:54:42 PM »
I know the “show unread posts” button at the bottom of the page works, however at least for me the one my my profile picture doesn’t.
I haven’t noticed classified items not showing when the button is clicked.
Is this what everyone else is seeing or are there diffences?
Thank,
T

I usually only access the Den online so I am commenting on what I am seeing.

Online, there is a button for "Show unread posts since last visit" and a button for "Show new items for sale since last visit."  What I am requesting is to consolidate that into one button, the way it used to be, so that anything new in the classified section is displayed when you hit "SHow unread posts since last visit."  Thanks.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk