News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 08:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting problems  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
Starting problems
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
Today I started engine without problem, went by car round my neigboroughood. Than stopped and cleaned her because tomorrow´s show. OOp, couldn´t start engine. Battery is O.K., starter didn´t run and I´ve heard small noice (chattering ?). Inside on side of right fender like is relay is small box (cca 4"x4") from where I was listening  chattering, but engine didn´t want to work.
It´s a pitty, tomorrow we have US car show. I will have to take spare car (Silverado). Poor Eagle, we were looking forward whole year for this.
Please don´t you have any idea where could be a problem ? I cleaned all wires and contacts I found.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Click for Praha, Česko Forecast" height="90" width="160     

Let's train the new generation. While we are getting old, let's train our drivers for our future !

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Re: Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
Right fender well and chattering (or clicking), I'd say solenoid, which is a very cheap and easy replacement. Mine had the similar symptoms not too long ago, switch out solenoid and everything was fine.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
Get the one for an automatic transmission, Ford and Jeep used them too.  Make sure before you buy one to make sure your battery connections are good.  You can bypass that solenoid very easily to test it.  I use a pair of uninsulated plier handles and short them across the two big terminals on the solenoid.  If the starter spins, then the solenoid is probably bad.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
As I gotta advice - tried to bridge relay - it didn´t work. I removed this box and upside down it looked like inside is "something" cast in resin. From this I can hear "clicking".
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Let's train the new generation. While we are getting old, let's train our drivers for our future !

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
If bridging the solenoid did not cause the starter to spin then you may have a weak batter, and/or dirty battery posts or terminals or a bad ground at the engine.  These cars do not really tolerate dirty terminals or posts very well.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Yes battery post and terminal was dirty (- ) (only this one, no +), I cleaned it. But with any result.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
I also tried to start thru starting cabels from other car .
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
What condition are the cables at the starter and the engine block?  Loose and or dirty connections will cause problems.  These Motorcraft starters really need everything tight and clean.   My Concord is really fussy about everything being as it should.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
Probably I will have to make review of all conection in car. The last chance for tomorrow´s show - I put battery to a charger thru night. If Eagle will stay in nest anyway - you will get pics with Chevy - what to do, but as all years I want you coud see "Day of US cars in CZ".
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk