News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 01:26:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange Tube and Clutch Problems  (Read 4751 times)

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Strange Tube and Clutch Problems
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
There's a strange tube sticking up in my engine compartment and I can't figure out what it's for. It's the one with the white cap that seems to have a vent valve on it. It's in the middle of this picture:

My problem with it is that the other end isn't connected to anything. I thought it went to my clutch, but I found that hose and confirmed that it connects to the clutch. The end has some sort of metal elbow on it. What is it?

I'm also having trouble on the correct procedure to bleed my clutch. The pedal only seems to have the lower half of the normal range of motion and it feels a little soft. Any direction on that would be great. I think the previous owner just replaced the clutch master cylinder.
1982 SX/4 Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. 135k miles.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Strange Tube and Clutch Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:31:17 PM »
if i remember correctly that is the vent for the front axle but if i'm wrong which does happen occasionally somebody please correct me.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »
Axle ventis correct.

I bleed the clutch. Just like I bleed the brakes with an assistant.  Pump 3x hold, open valve, shut valve. Repeat until no air is coming out

Manitowoc WI

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »
Axle vent... I'll have to find out where on the axle that came from then. That'll be a good project for tomorrow along with correctly bleeding the clutch. Thanks!!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:51:07 AM »
mud kicker is right on. i beleive my vent tube connects on the top of my axle housing. i looked at it to check it a couple weeks ago.

Bingo and it has a 90* bend that points to the driver fender well

Manitowoc WI

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »
Bled the clutch and it still doesn't work. It feels like the pedal isn't giving me the full travel. What else goes wrong with clutches? I don't have any money, just patience and a strong desire to fix it, so I'm up for trying anything before taking it in to a pro...

Offline iAMCheap

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • A birdsong shatters the still
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:38:41 PM »
When I bled my clutch, I held the slave cylinder IN while I was working the master cylinder.
Make sure that the reservoir does not run empty.
Also, check where the clutch pedal is connected. Is the metal spongey?
The blizzard goes on but still they must fly.
No one should go Where EAGLES Dare!
       TONY
 Glen Rock, PA

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »
So it turns out that the connection between the pedal and the rod going into the master cylinder is wonky. I'll have to pull that out and bend it back into shape and maybe get a new bolt to go in there. Fun stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk