News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 12:46:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A girl who likes Eagles…The wife's 83 Sx-4 (W/Pictures)  (Read 7468 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
A girl who likes Eagles…The wife's 83 Sx-4 (W/Pictures)
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:07 AM »

So the wife has been hounding me for an Sx-4. (A girl who likes Eagles… I know I got a keeper LOL) I have been looking everywhere. But everything I looked at or checked on was not worth the money they wanted. Sorry but a 1000 dollars for a car that doesn’t run is not my cup of tea. I was almost ready to buy a Chevy or a Ford. Then my friend V (V-tally-SX4 here on the nest) told me he was going to sell his Sx-4. I was genuinely upset. I was there from the beginning I remember going to look at that car and driving it home. But he was determined to sell it. He said he was fed up with it sitting and every time he wanted to drive it there was always something wrong with it. He said the car just didn’t want him anymore. (LOL yea this Sx-4 really does have a mind of her own that’s why her name is CHRISTINE) So I got the money together and picked her up. My wife almost hit the ceiling, she always loved his car from the moment she saw it and now it is ours. And I’m never selling it. The car does need some love but

Here are some of the things he has done since he bought it
-Replaced radiator
-Replace leaky valve cover gasket   
-Replaced tranny lines
-Weber carburetor 38 dgev conversion
-Full brake overhaul
   Power booster
   Master cylinder
   Rubber Lines & hard lines
   Calipers
   Wheel cylinders
   Pads and rotors
   Shoes, drums and a spring kit
-full front end minus the strut rod bushings
-Drivers side frame rail

He also did some cosmetic stuff like
Returning the grill to stock
Replacing the radio center pod

I have given these things some much needed attention since I got the car

-Fully tuned the carburetor
-Properly adjusted timing
-Coolant flush and refill
-Power steering lines high and low
-Changed the factory thermostat (yes it was the one the car was built with Per the P/o)
-Rear shocks
-100 amp alternator
-Sylvania silverstar headlights Highs and lows
-A working Period correct (shaft style) Amc tape deck
-Door hinge pins and bushings both sides upper and lower
By the way I lined up the hinges on the 85 and this one without a problem and yes I completely removed the doors. The whole job took 15-20 minutes a door

The car still needs strut rod bushings (I have them)
And now without further ado I present to you CHRISTINE

I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

rohnk

Re: A girl who likes Eagles…The wife's 83 Sx-4 (W/Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »
Score! Nice SX/4. Ready for the shows this spring/summer.

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »
Looks like a good score!! :occasion14: , now the question is, is it really hers?...... :rotfl: just kidding, my girlfriend holds the title to the sx/4 too, lol, even though I'm stuck with all the work, and paying for it, hahaha.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
Looks great, and some nice work. Another Ny Eagler, man we have to have a NY meet someday, seems there are a few of us around. I never thought about people in the "city" owning Eagles, bieng of country locale -lol.
But that's way cool.We have a few west NY members, a couple in NYC and a couple upstate that I know of.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »
Does she have a sister that's single?  ;D
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
Looks great, and some nice work. Another Ny Eagler, man we have to have a NY meet someday, seems there are a few of us around. I never thought about people in the "city" owning Eagles, bieng of country locale -lol.
But that's way cool.We have a few west NY members, a couple in NYC and a couple upstate that I know of.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=37646.0

Thanks for the reminder gopac...
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Prafeston

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:34 AM »
Score and it has the CB radio!

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »
Cool car and wife should be really happy.Really like your wheels too! Been looking for a set of those with no luck I might add. Good luck with tour new purchase.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Prafeston

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
Forgot to mention the Christine name. Perfect fit! Just watched that movie the other day.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
My wife loves the Spirit pre-runner but she's blasé about the wagon.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline JustinS

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thief River Falls, MN
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »
My wife can't seem to stand anything AMC.  :-[

Too bad for her I love them so much.
Justin S.

-1972 Plymouth Gold Duter 225ci                     
-1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback SBC (Gator)          -1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2L (Red)
-1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 258ci (Seagle)                -1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L (The Wife's)

Click for Thief_River_Falls, MN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »
Looks like a good score!! :occasion14: , now the question is, is it really hers?...... :rotfl: just kidding, my girlfriend holds the title to the sx/4 too, lol, even though I'm stuck with all the work, and paying for it, hahaha.

LOL nope this is her daily driver I have the 85 4 door wagon Couldn't part with that, besides she wouldn't be caught dead driving the wagon. Oh by the way..... The cars in my name. she just gets to enjoy it.

I didn't know there were any eagle guys in the New york metro area Yeah I would love to have a meet

Score and it has the CB radio!
LOL she has no clue how to use it I ordered them new They glow green like our dash lights everyone always asks me if its stock. I tell them yeah stock right out of the factory with a 108 inch whip

I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
Your a lucky man! My wife hates Eagles although she did say my current SX4 is cute...Even though  bad  :censored: is more of what I had in mind, Ill take cute any day over the words she called my wagons....Maybe its for the best though, if my wife loved them too I would likely have a yard that resembled that of  Sanford and Sons.

Thats a great looking car you got there, and I LOVE the way the cup holder and CB are set up. Cant wait to see more on this car
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline FreedomMachine

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
I just got my first eagle this winter and my gf was less than enthusiastic.   She'd rather be paraded around in her civic than caught dead in my 4.2L I6 AMC Eagle Sedan.  I don't care, when I'm in my Eagle I'm king of the road and the off-road, except Jeeps (also AMC).  but I'll she what she thinks when I'm pulling her out of the snow/mud/sand.
1985 AMC Eagle 4.2L I6
1996 Mazda Miata 1.8L I4

RIP - Totaled 2001 Jeep XJ 4.0L I6

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »
Your a lucky man! My wife hates Eagles although she did say my current SX4 is cute...Even though  bad  :censored: is more of what I had in mind, Ill take cute any day over the words she called my wagons....Maybe its for the best though, if my wife loved them too I would likely have a yard that resembled that of  Sanford and Sons.

Thats a great looking car you got there, and I LOVE the way the cup holder and CB are set up. Cant wait to see more on this car
I hear ya I am already starting to collect Parts thank god we have a garage. I have a friend who is really into jeep wranglers YJ's and CJ's mostly but anyway he is literally rebuilding his motor in his living room. Hence the reason he has no girlfriend. If I leave a wrench on my desk she looses her mind.

I just got my first eagle this winter and my gf was less than enthusiastic.   She'd rather be paraded around in her civic than caught dead in my 4.2L I6 AMC Eagle Sedan.  I don't care, when I'm in my Eagle I'm king of the road and the off-road, except Jeeps (also AMC).  but I'll she what she thinks when I'm pulling her out of the snow/mud/sand.

LOL to be honest my girls favorite part of the day is being seen in the car. People are always waving at her and asking her questions. She loves that. don't worry she will warm up to it.

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 02:14:15 PM »
Congratulations, nice buy!

Anjo
Holland

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk