News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 02:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just Picked up my first Eagle Today from orig owner! Help! 81 SX/4  (Read 3563 times)

81eaglesx4

so i was driving down the road this morning and saw a yard sale sign. Being a sucker for yard sales, i stopped.  As i'm browsing thru the junk i notice an Eagle in the driveway that looked like it hadn't been moved in quite a while. The old guy said it hasn't been started for about 2 years. Come to find out, he bought the Eagle brand new, the only owner.  He had all the original sales paperwork, window sticker, shop manual, etc.  It has 123k miles on it and he said it had always ran great, but 2 years ago, he drove it down the road and the electronics started to "sputter" and then it died. He towed it home, then later broke the key off in the ignition. He then had a massive heart attack and as things go, he never got  back to trying to fix it.  He sold it to me for $300.  It seems to be in great shape, no rust, dents, nothing.  I brought it home today, put a new, working battery in it and i get nothing - no power to anything. Any ideas as to where i'd start to track down the problem?http://www.flickr.com/photos/66360917@N03/6040959722
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:33:56 AM by 81eaglesx4 »

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: Just Picked up my first Eagle Today from orig owner! Help! 81 SX/4
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 03:26:59 AM »
Start with the battery cables, positive and negative, make the contacts clean on both ends.

But I would really suspect the fusible links, I think there are a number of them running from the starter solenoid, where +12V from the battery is connected.

I hope he didn't screw-up the tranny while towing it home....
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

81eaglesx4

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »
actually, he did't say how he got it home, but that's a good point, being AWD. hope you're right....

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 03:57:21 AM »
Welcome BTW, doing the graveyard shift?
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
You got swindled. As a jester of good will, give me your address and I'll come pick it up and give you your $300 back.  ;D Like Jurgen said, start with the basics. Clean and check all power and ground connections. Start at the starter solenoid and work from there.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »
this occasion calls for a test light!!  Awesome find.  Snap more photos please ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »
O yeah you got swindled, and I feel so bad too. Heck I will toss in an extra $100 to make it $400 just for all yout trouble , and what the heck another $75 for the new battery.  :rotfl: - hey -great looking Eagle and one heck of a deal , the sputtering could be anything though. We are all jelous !!

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
81eaglesx4 welcome to the AMC Eagle Nets.
Sounds like you got a great buy the body seams to be in real good condition that even if the mechanical are shot its still a great buy.
Change the fusible wire.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:40:22 PM by Gil-SX4 »
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

81eaglesx4

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:00 AM »
thanks for the sympathy in getting "taken" on this car. :-) I've been swamped with work and haven't had 10 minutes to even look at the car since i picked it up last Saturday.  I look forward to starting the process of trying to track down the problem.  By the way, I need to tell all of you that I am not a mechanic, but i can work on  motor parts. Electrical, i know nothing about.  I did notice that the wire coming into the fusebox under the steering column that's plugged into the "battery" connection is black and pretty much fried on the end of it. Can anyone recommend a link or thread that would help a laymen better understand the steps i need to take to find the problem?  i've read quite a bit the last few evenings online and it seems that the "fusible link" seems to be the common thread when i google'd it. Can anyone help me in knowing where i find these fusible links and what to look for? I know this is basic stuff for many of you but electrical guy, i am NOT.  Thanks again! i'll get more pics and post in the next few days.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk