News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 02:21:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mud Flaps  (Read 3430 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Mud Flaps
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
Has anyone installed rear mud flaps on an SX4. I see many people following behind me before pulling alongside & asking what kind of car it is. I think that if they see "eagle" on the flap they will know before asking who makes it, which is OK. I bought a set but there are no instructions. There are (8) self tapping screws per flap which it seems is excessive. There are two lines on the flap for front & rear which I believe means how low to set it at the bottom of the splash guard. The rear should then ride ¼” lower than the front. A major question is how far outside the splash guard should it be positioned. It can’t be flush & follow the curve because the “eagle” will be crooked. It actually doesn’t look that easy to install & I wouldn’t be surprised if the splash guard should be removed to do it properly what with all those screws, washers & spacers. I wish I knew what the designer was thinking or had an instruction sheet.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: Mud Flaps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
Wow...yeah 8 screws per flaps seems like too man. The person I bought my flaps from left them dirty so I could see how to mount them. And I sure don't remember 8 screw holes!

I have a photo of the flaps in my photobucket account, but I can't access right now. PB has been down for maintenance all day.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »
Still can't get to my photobucket account, but I was able to troll my old thread on the EVO and find a picture of the mudflaps I just got. You can see the dirt line where it was mounted to the car. Hope this helps.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
I have a set of NOS (4), and I haven't installed them yet. I do have the mounting instructions somewhere. If I get to it by Thursday, I will post, otherwise it will be another week until I can get to it...Hawaii calls next week!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
I'm sure the photo will help - thanks. I see (3) screw holes but that may have been a shortcut the Po used without instructions or hardware. I generally don't prefer self-tapping screws but the plastic down there is shaped such that it lookks almost impossible to work down there without removing the splash giuard if I want to add nuts. I can wait for that instructoin sheet if it's available - thanks again. By the way I'm surprised you can see the number eight. When I posted the number eight in parenthesis it doesn't show. Why I don't know. Even reading this only an icon shows up where the (8) should be. I did have a kyboard problem this morning however.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »
It's an emoticon thing. the smily face (parenthesis  with the number 8 after it turns it into a smiley wearing sunglasses. 

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Dumb me - I did it again - thanks
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk