News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 28, 2024, 05:12:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How would someone fix a vinyl roof.  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Eagle1983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: How would someone fix a vinyl roof.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
Those are nice pictures. How much did it cost to remove the vinyl roof and glue, also can a person keep the silver trim on that is around the windows and the top area above the doors, do like the chrome on the car. Are there any textures I could use in the paint. Also how hard would it be for a body shop to match 26 year old paint, barely have the money to get the window sweeps and channels replaced. Also are there any good alternatives to vinyl roof wax. I have tried to find some but have not had any luck so far.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:07:37 PM by Eagle1983 »
Eagles never die.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: How would someone fix a vinyl roof.
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
At the least, if you are going to have the roof replaced, go ahead and strip it off yourself then give the top a good once-over with some sandpaper, bondo any minor spots, and put some paint on it. Since the vinyl will hide minor irregularities, you can just brush on the paint. It will protect the roof from any water that gets behind the vinyl seams.

Matching old paint can be hard, and they'll have to blend the paint even if they can get the color almost perfect. The biggest part of any cost is the removal and prep, so if you can handle that yourself you should be able to save over half the cost. I've never had to price anything myself, just deal with insurance, so I don't know what the real costs are.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk