News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New half shaft squeak  (Read 8334 times)

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
New half shaft squeak
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
I purchased a new (not rebuilt) drivers side half shaft at Autozone and installed it with the correct torque specs. Now that it is colder outside I get a squeak coming from that area. The new half shafts are correct (not to big) and the boots are not rubbing on anything like some other posts are describing. I put some axle oil around where the outer shaft meets the hub seal, spun the hub to work the oil in, took it for a drive with no change. I also sprayed the boots with silicone lube, no change.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: New half shaft squeak
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
are you sure the squeaking is coming from the half shafts,the rubber bushing squeals that way when old and dry why don´t you spray them with some wd-40  or some diesel it may work
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Thanks for you reply.
Which rubber bushings are you referring to?

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »
There is something else I did while doing the half shaft install. I found the front diff mounting bracket on the drivers side was missing the bolt that attaches it to the engine so I fixed that. It was also missing the bolt&nut on the support bar that attaches to the tranny so I fixed that. Could either of these things cause the squeaking.

Also how do you get to the 2 mounting bolts on the top of the front diff?

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
The front stabilizer bar bushings on every car are prone to squeak. Hit them with some spray-on silicone lube so they don't swell, and if they're really bad then replace them. Check everything is tight and if the halfshaft is coming loose from the differential assembly it'll need locktitie.

The boot may (unlikely) be squeaking as well. It's oil-resistant so any spray lube can be tried on it to see if it's squeaking as it compresses.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
There is something else I did while doing the half shaft install. I found the front diff mounting bracket on the drivers side was missing the bolt that attaches it to the engine so I fixed that. It was also missing the bolt&nut on the support bar that attaches to the tranny so I fixed that. Could either of these things cause the squeaking.

Also how do you get to the 2 mounting bolts on the top of the front diff?

From the top with a long extension and swivel (I use impact socket ones) My shock bushings started squeaking recently.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »
Something that might help to diagnose this noise. The noise is only their when the temps outside are below 40. The squeak in continuous an any speed over 5mph. It does not change with a smooth road or bumpy, It does not follow the speed of the engine but does follow the speed of the car. Switching to 4wd does not seem to change it at all. Braking has no effect on the squeak. It seams to come from the drivers side front tire area.

I think I may remove the half shaft and drive to see if the squeak goes away. If it does I will take the half shaft back to Autozone.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:22 PM »
I think I may remove the half shaft and drive to see if the squeak goes away. If it does I will take the half shaft back to Autozone.

Careful, it's the half-shaft that holds the bearing together. Check this for a way to do it safely:
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35996.0
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
Well since my last post I swapped the old half shaft back in. The noise is still there. Topped off fluid on the front diff., greased the front and rear transaxle u-joints, greased where the half shaft meets the spindle, replaced both front brake pads and one rotor. Seems like all that is left is the front bearings. As I understand it these where permanently greased (that's always funny to hear, like cars with front ends that will never need aligned).

Is there any easy way to grease these bearing?
Is it easier to just buy a junk yard hub assembly and replace the whole hub?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »
Pop it apart and change the bearing
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
Have you done it before? Most of the posts say you need a press. I will likely need to replace the inner and outer seal  if I "pop" it apart, right?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »
I use a brass drift punch, but I have a press from Harbor Freight that does the job too.

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
So far I have narrowed the squeaking sound down to the front differential. I topped off the oil but I probably need to drain and replace.
So far there are only 2 things that change the squeaking sound.
1) It does not squeak when driving backwards.
2) It does not squeak when it is warm outside.
The squeak does not change even a little bit, when driving and turning the steering wheel from left to right. It doesn't change when switching to 4wd. Braking and accelerating has no effect on the squeak. With both windows down I can not hear the squeak when listening out both the windows. The sound seems to be coming from right under the drivers feet. I popped the u-joint off of the differential and it was in great shape, no play or ruffness at all. When I raise one tire at a time and spin it by hand there is no squeaking sound at all, everything seems good. Both wheel bearings are tight, no play at all. So it must be coming from the Differential. Only other way I thought of to narrow it down was to remove both half-shafts (replace with nut, bolt and washer) and disconnect the front u-joint and drive it to see if the sound goes away.
Just seems like replacing the differential oil would be an easier and necessary thing to do.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:17:27 AM »
Take out the front driveshaft first. Probably it's the ujoint closest to the diff.

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
I believe I have finally found what is causing the squeak. I sprayed lithium grease on the front pinion seal and it stopped squeaking. So I must have a swollen/bad pinion seal. How hard are they to replace?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk