1979 - 1983 AMC Spirits and 1978 - 1983 AMC Concords > Front Suspension/Steering/Front Brakes

New Control Arm Bushings

<< < (4/4)

BenM:
I was just through spring compressors again myself. I'd heard good things about that type of external compressor, about them being safe.

I bought a used one at an online auction for $50 to do the Pacer, and I built my own for the Eagle in the style of the original AMC part. I chiseled the lower mount off a front shock and got the heaviest piece of all-thread that would fit the hole, then bolted it on and brazed it so it wouldn't turn. It installs from the top just like a shock and bolts in with the rubber mounts so it will wobble.

At the top I used some heavy steel bar and put some cut rubber hose to cushion it. Then I got the longest collar nut I could find and a wing nut. Just swap it out with the shock and snug it down, then tighten the wing nut so it doesn't back off while you work. The top and bottom mounts need to flex some as the angle changes.

It's hard to compress with just the all-thread, but it's quite safe for static loads while you're working on ball joints and such. Rolled all-thread would work much better if you can find it.

Very similar to HappyPappy's setup it sounds, but you can use your own spring saddle.

ammachine390:
I brought my car home a little over a week ago. The front end feels great. Feels very tight when going over bumps, unlike the rear end. However, I replaced almost everything in the front, so I'm not sure how much the control arm bushings did alone. But overall, I'm pretty happy. At highway speeds, the steering wheel still shakes a little, but I think its because my tires are not round, which I noticed when I had them on the balancer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version