News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 01:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carburetor #  (Read 2555 times)

Offline skuzzwagon

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Carburetor #
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »
Hey guys!  I just resurrected my 87 wagon after a bit of storage.   Runs like :censored:!   Stalls randomly, seems to flood.  Doing process of elimination, new fuel filter, plugs, wires.  I was looking into rebuilding the carb but I am inexperienced and the price of a new one is pretty affordable.  I want to make sure I buy the right one.  Pretty sure it's a carter.  Has a sticker with 8383 on it. Also has 6-2373 cast into the side of it.  I want to make sure I buy the right carb.  Thoughts?  Also I can't really upgrade because I live in California.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Carburetor #
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:02:36 AM »
It depends which part of CA you live in. Last I heard the factory designed Jeep EFI conversion kit for '87 to '90 Jeep Wranglers with 4.2L was still legal for AMC Eagle conversions too.

As for the wanting to flood, you may have something stuck in the needle and seat. Where the fuel line goes into the carb is a brass fitting. That is the seat for the needle. Undo the line then undo the fitting. Carefully on the last part, tip the seat up so the part going into the carb is upwards (so you don't loose the needle). Inspect the tip of the needle for crud and wear. No crud, or no wear means the float may be stuck from sitting or sunk.
   You can try just replacing the needle and seat. I'd say you have a 50% chance that fixes it. Kit is $14 from Rockauto.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline skuzzwagon

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Carburetor #
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
Man you mean I'm going to have to get my hands dirty? ;)  I'll give it a try bub.  Thanks for the thorough reply!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk