News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 11:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dual Stereo Setup Questions  (Read 3031 times)

Prafeston

Dual Stereo Setup Questions
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
I'm considering purchasing a CB radio and also connecting an aftermarket headunit. How would I install them and get both of them to be powered up and connected to the same speakers? I've installed headunits on 3 of my past cars by myself, but it's usually been pretty easy. They came with adapter connectors that I just spliced into and then it was plug and play. This seems a bit more complicated.

Is it something I could probably do myself or am I better off just taking it to a stereo installation shop?

rohnk

Re: Dual Stereo Setup Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »
With what you would have into it, it might be cheaper to buy an AM/FM/CB radio. You see them on the auction site. I have two of them.  ;D

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »
If the CB has an aux out cable (I think most do) and the CD player had an aux in port, you could just plug in the cb to the cd head unit. When you wanted to use your iPod or other mp3 player, you would just unplug the aux cable from the cb and put the aux from the mp3.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
I'm wanting to put in an original AMC CB AM/FM stereo, but also have my Alpine for CD/iPod playability...maybe there is some sort of splitter that could take the CB signal and patch it into the Alpine. I know I have RCA (Red/White) plug ins on the back of my headunit. The CB would still need power. I'm guessing the CB antenna is separate from the FM/AM antenna?

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
The stock AM/FM/CB radio used the same antenna. There is a splitter with a built in relay that when you key up to put power out, the relay would switch so you didn't feed the CB power into the back of your AM/FM.

If you feed the audio out of the CB into the head unit, you might have to change modes on the radio everytime you want to hear the CB. Like switching between CD or FM or AM.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:35:36 AM »
The stock AM/FM/CB radio used the same antenna.

I believe the TSM states that they are different, the cb version was longer, and could not be ordered as a power unit.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »
I'm wanting to put in an original AMC CB AM/FM stereo, but also have my Alpine for CD/iPod playability...maybe there is some sort of splitter that could take the CB signal and patch it into the Alpine. I know I have RCA (Red/White) plug ins on the back of my headunit. The CB would still need power. I'm guessing the CB antenna is separate from the FM/AM antenna?

From what I've done in the past, you should go with a separate ant.   I used to run the shorter, loaded 'Trucker' ant for my CB.  Just have one - The car isn't wide enough to run both, and the 2 Ant's will interfere with each other's 'Near Field'.  Good place is right in the middle of the back bumper - or on the rack (if not a magnet ant, or K-40).  a spring on the ant will keep it from getting broken and interferring with the hatch.

Somewhere central on the car, and closer to the back, I'd say.  See, the ant's near field will get pulled across the car, and if it's in the center rear of the car, the near field will get pulled across the roof, and you're best reception will be whatever direction you're pointing in, and gives it more intensity.  if you put the ant somewhere on the side, the near field gets pulled diagonally across the car, and then you can get decent to choppy reception.  Not the best placement.

some kind of Aux input/outputs is the best way to go to have the CB sound coming thru the alpine.  Easier and neater, I found.

I'd keep the power separate - But that's my opinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk