News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VW EA831 rebuild ongoing near Seattle  (Read 1815 times)

Offline ryanwm80

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
VW EA831 rebuild ongoing near Seattle
« on: October 17, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
This engine was the reason I decided to buy this postal Jeep, which I found at a Pick-N-Pull junk yard in Lynnwood, Washington. I've had an unexplainable attraction to the postal Jeep for a long time, and I expected to see an AMC six cylinder engine under the hood, but I was surprised to see this four cylinder engine with a cam sprocket at the front of the cylinder head. Initially I was only going to repair the engine and drive it as it was, but the keys could not be located, and I needed a new ignition switch, and then I found a couple of wires with melted insulation, and one thing led to another. The engine wouldn't turn over when I bought it, but I've found the parts I need to fix it, and now the short block assembly is back from the machine shop with new standard size connecting rods from Porsche via pelican parts.com. I need to get the crankcase vent hose that connects to a PCV valve, and that is not easy to find. I know this was commonly used in Porsche 924's, and I guess my next step would be to visit a Porsche dealer. Has anyone else rebuilt one of these?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: VW EA831 rebuild ongoing near Seattle
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 11:33:36 AM »
We had a 78 Gremlin with this engine in it.  It had been sitting for 6-8 years when we got it.  We did not have to rebuild the engine as we were fortunate enough to get in running with minimal effort. 

It seems like there were a couple hoses that we couldn't find and we maybe had to get by with what was there or fabricate a couple different hoses together because they had different sizes on the ends.

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk