News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:00:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vinyl roof  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Turbotim2

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Vinyl roof
« on: July 13, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »
The vinyl roof covering on my eagle isn't in the best shape.   What are my options?  It doesn't look repairable.   Strip it off and paint?

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Vinyl roof
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 05:45:50 AM »
Either strip and paint or take it to a customizer/upholsterer to have it replaced.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »
I had the vinyl roof on my two door sedan replaced and it turned out great.  Hopefully you don't run into any rust under the vinyl.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Turbotim2

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »
I suspect there is along the top of the windshield.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »
It's amazing what JB-Weld will fill.
  • Remove the rust first.
  • Never apply more as a body filler than you want to leave. Means you don't have to grind or sand.
    - Except for the last skim coat, where sanding will be minimal to get a smooth blended surface.
  • I've also used it against fibreglass backing cloth (tacked in place with some spots of JB-Weld, set, then fill over top), and with polylester microspheres mixed into the mixed JB-Weld to extend it.
  • I've even used metal screening in place of cloth, but coated all of the metal weave so it's coated against future rusting.
  • For larger holes, choose a backing, tack in place with construction adhesive (doesn't hurt to 'butter' the backing with construction adhesive too) and let cure. Fill with construciton adhesive and let cure. Surface coat with JB-Weld with microspheres.
  • Place the backing entirely inside the hole, with a thin piece of curved/bent wood or plastic, poked through the backing and pulling it up to contact and bond to the backside of the hole opening. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk