News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:33:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lunchbox locker in front D30  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Lunchbox locker in front D30
« on: August 12, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
As the topic says: who’s considered, or even better, tried a lunchbox locker in the ifs d30?  Personally I have the 2.73 carrier (hope one fits) and I wonder how it’ll perform if I use the axle disconnect? I would aim to convert the disconnect to cable actuation but obviously that’s just one side of the carrier. I wonder how full time awd would work with it disconnected?  Maybe I should be the guinea pig??
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:19:11 PM by Vgrizzw »

Offline derf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
    • My Gear Ratio Calculator
Re: Lunchbox locker in front D30
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
A lunchbox locker in 2wd with the axle disconnected will behave basically like an open differential.

In AWD with the axle connected, it will behave like a lunchbox locker.  Decent on the trails but "less than ideal" on road.  When you apply power (i.e. push on the gas) the locker will engage and not let the wheels run at different speed.  So you get "lock steer", which seriously impacts turning radius because the front tires can't turn at different speeds.  Coasting around a corner will let the locker ratchet.  But if you're on very low traction roads (snow/ice) you will lose traction easier.  Getting in and out of the throttle going around corners will take some getting used to.

In AWD with the axle disconnected, you'll essentially be running in 3wd.  Because one of the shafts is free to spin any speed, it will do so.

The only time I ever ran an automatic locker (lunchbox, full case Detroit, etc.) in a front axle was when that axle had locking hubs.  When I hit the street, I'd get out and unlock the hubs so I was in true 2WD.  I personally wouldn't drive a vehicle with an automatic locker up front unless I had that ability.

But one other thing to think about.  The shafts have a retaining clip on them in the Eagle differential.  Read up on the Eaton E-Locker thread to see what he's having to do to be able to put the clips in.  I would be willing to bet a lot that a lunchbox locker wouldn't be easy to set up to let you use those clips.  It's worth investigating but it may not be possible to do what you want to do.
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/D44HD/D60FF
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/D44/D44
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4 spd Atlas/D30/D44

My gear ratio calculator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk