The Shop > 4X4 and Driveline

Looking for np128 to replace np129

(1/3) > >>

djdelee421:
On my 83 sx4 I was just cruising around the other day and all of a sudden this loud whining and metal on metal sound happened. So I got home jacked the rear end up rotated my tires in drive and sure enough the np129 is done the viscous coupling to be specific. So I found out that my dad's 86 wagon has the np128 with the open differential and my questions are is a swap easy and is it worth it and ultimately where can I find a 128? Let me know my last resort will be a jeep tcase because I really don't want a hole in my floor.

eaglefreek:
A 128 is a direct swap. Easy is a relative term, based on your mechanical ability and tools. With a lift and the right tools, it's probably a 1-2 hour job. On kickstands and on your back a bit longer. 128's were a one year only thing and not easy to come by. I've had both and the 129 seemed to do a bit better in the snow than the 128, but not enough difference to worry about.

djdelee421:
Would a 128 last longer than a 129 and if you did do a jeep t case which one goes in easiest or can jeep parts be put in a 129 I just have no idea what to do I want my eagle back out there so bad

djdelee421:
Ive decided to try and find a T4 or 5 with a transfer case behind it hopefully a 242 or 231? I'm not sure but I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow and will see what I can find only got a couple hundred bucks so I'm hoping for a good deal. Anybody think it's a good idea? I haven't done much research but the T5 seems like a common trans I'm just not sure what t-case will most likely be on it.

vangremlin:
From what I have read, the T4s are prone to breaking up down by people shifting incorrectly.  And I would imagine a T5 would be very hard to find.  You have an automatic in there now?  Fairly big undertaking to make the transformation to a manual transmission.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version