News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 01:44:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Serpintine conversions ? No tach reading  (Read 3258 times)

82_wagon

Serpintine conversions ? No tach reading
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »
Hey y'all been a while haven't gotten to far on the old wagon but starting a new job soon which means more funds to play … ok so a few issues I need to address :

My alternator belt will not stay tight last time I tightened it I used a paint marker to mark its location and it didn't move but it still rolled the belt and squeals I had a sim alar issue on my old ford so I swapped in a serpentine system and problem solved ... I'd like to do the same to my 258ci but can't find a kit. Anyone know of one ?

Another issue is the tach isn't reading it's a factory tach and yes my computer is cooked but shouldn't it still read ? I'm swapping out the old carter carb for a webber 32/36 and eliminating the computer all together but I'd like the tach to work so I can figure out what I have to do to my axle ratios if any thing ... (Running lt235/75r15)

Also as a side note has anyone tried the webber ? I have no doubt it'll bolt up but I'm concerned about hood clearance the kit is for a cj and the hoods are much higher ... If I must I can build a remote breather or even a snorkel system to clear but I'd like to keep it looking clean under the hood we'll clean for an eagle lol

So if any ones got some advise it would be greatly appreciated thanks y'all

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Serpintine conversions ? No tach reading
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »
The factory tach is notoriously prone to failure and near impossible to repair.  The tach simply gets it's signal feed from the coil (-) green wire.  You can tap any aftermarket tach into that.

Many try the Weber and say it's great once you get it dialed in.  Not sure on the clearance.  I'm running the Carters on both of my Eagles.  You can still use the Carter without the computer, you just set the stepper pins to their halfway position and tune it the usual way.  Or you can swap on a pre-computer Carter.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
Yes, the factory tachs fail regularly - hard to find one that works anymore.

I can sell you a Ford F150 tach which looks almost like the AMC factory tach.  Check out the For Sale section in the Den for pictures and details.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

82_wagon

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »
How can put the ford tach in ? Factory location?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
Some amc cars/eagles jeeps came with serps.

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »
How can put the ford tach in ? Factory location?

Yep, factory location.  Check out this link on how to install it, pictures included

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38475.0
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

82_wagon

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
What year range ford ?
I'm In Nc and rather do the cash thing then send payment

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk