News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:49:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: xj donor leaf post cut dimensions????  (Read 7106 times)

Offline greenlion

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
xj donor leaf post cut dimensions????
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
I am interested in fixing my sagging rear by taking the bottom xj leaf and adding it to the Eagle Pack. I was wondering if anybody here has done the same and might have the dimensions of what the xj leaf spring is after it was cut?
My thought was, rather than go to a junk yard, pull the part, etc....., i could order those 2 leafs from a shop, and get them brand new but milled to the right size to work on the Eagle pack. any ideas or comments if youve done this upgrade would be appreciated. thanks, ryan and bernice
Bernice 87 Sedan

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: xj donor leaf post cut dimensions????
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
From what I understand it's the main leaf with the eyes cut off that will fix the sag.

I'll let you know this week as I'm doing exactly that.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
That's exactly what I did. If you swap in a D35 too, then just new ubolts and 2 centering pins are needed. (the pin goes through the springs to keep them aligned) Eventually I will get new spring wraps too. When you cut the eyes off the old spring, bevel the cut edges where it touches the main leaf so it doesn't chew into it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline greenlion

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »
i know the part about cutting the eyes off the xj main leafs, i was just curious to know what the dimensions were after that so maybe i could just order those two leafs brand new from a shop. I would save time and money not having to buy the xj leafs, remove them at the junk yard, and then add to the eagle leaf pack. thought i could just order two seperate leafs that were the same size and dimensions of a cut up xj leaf.
Bernice 87 Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »
How much is it sagging? You could order long AAL's (add a leaf) for an Jeep XJ but it might lift it too much. Call General Spring in KC and tell them what you want to do. They have all the measurements.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline greenlion

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
its not sagging much, but i tow a landscape trailer pretty often and i can see over the last year an increase in sag. The car is an 87. I want it to be at least stock height, a little taller wouldnt bother me. Carnuck, whats a D35? i appreciate all the input into this everyone! Ill have to give general spring a call and see what they recommend.
Bernice 87 Sedan

Offline greenlion

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
its not sagging much, but i tow a landscape trailer pretty often and i can see over the last year an increase in sag. The car is an 87. I want it to be at least stock height, a little taller wouldnt bother me. Carnuck, whats a D35? i appreciate all the input into this everyone! Ill have to give general spring a call and see what they recommend.
Bernice 87 Sedan

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
D35 is a dana 35 from an XJ, MJ, TJ, etc, but XJ is a bolt in.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline greenlion

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:24:15 AM »
im not that smart to do that swap!!!lol, I thought adding a leaf was stretching my skill level to the limit. If i ever make it up to WA from NV, ill be sure to stop by and pick your brain.
Bernice 87 Sedan

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:19 PM »
It's the same as swapping for another Eagle diff, IF you find a matching ratio. It gets rid of the weak 2 piece axles and upgrades the rear brakes and wheel bearings at the same time.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 12:05:07 AM »
The Chrysler 8.25" rear end is another one that nearly bolts right in.

Both have to have the shock mounts cut off and reversed I think. Existing brake hardware can be used on either (8.25 will need to have the backing plates axle hole ground out a bit though to use the stock Eagle brakes, Dana 35 will fit on without a problem)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can just take the main leaf out of the XJ and add the main leaf from the Eagle. That might lift it too much though. You can always just add the larger of the loose leafs to the Eagle pack. I'm pretty sure there are some threads on this floating around somewhere.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
It depends what XJ pack you get.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk