News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: antifreeze types  (Read 5679 times)

Offline darjeeling

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
antifreeze types
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
It's time to change the coolant but I can't remember what I used last time. All I know is that it's green. Can anyone recommend what I should use? When I started driving there was only one kind of antifreeze, now there are many and I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Thanks.

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: antifreeze types
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
I usually run original Prestone in the yellow jug. Works well and keeps the engine cool.
I used to run Peak a lot several years ago, but I don't know what color their regular green coolant jug is nowadays.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »
I too use the old green stuff. Anything else formed sludge in my overflow tank. It's kind of hard to find in smaller stores.

Never run a dexcool-compatable antifreeze without a full flush or it will create sludge and precipitate in your block.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
Just regular antifreeze/water (50/50) mixture is the only thing you should use. Cheapest stuff is store brand full strength, mix it yourself, and it is exactly the same as any other brand. It's bright green and see-thru, I use the stuff from Advance.

I wouldn't even use dexcool in a car that came with it. That stuff is awful and destroys things.

FYI, it's possible to use plain water to cool your engine. The problems with this are inevitable rust and a frozen engine block in colder months. If you used plain antifreeze, the car would most likely overheat. The antifreeze added to the water solves both of those problems, and the mixture could be adjusted to suit your climate (more water for hotter temps, more antifreeze for freezing temps).
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:23 AM »
Every two years I drain my radiator and add Prestone 50/50 mixture. My water has a lot of mineral deposits in it and that can cause troubles. I take the precautionary measure with my Eagle. :)
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:23 AM »
I use de-ionized and de-mineralized water when I put a fresh rad in or after a flush.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DGeagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • Forget the Whales, Save the Eagles!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:01:47 AM »
After a full flush, I generally add a small bottle of Anti-Rust.  Just for the reason that most of my cars sit for extended periods of times and it seems to keep corrosion in the system down. 
87 Eagle Sedan--86 Eagle Sedan--98 XJ 4.6 stroker--81 Concord--78 Pacer V-8--74 Gremlin V-8- 78 Concord AMX V-8--89 Grand Wagoneers--76 J-10--69,70,71 AMX--71,73 Javelin--70 Rebel Machine, 48 Packard, 47 Nash, Many other AMC's, Fords, and Mopars....
Too Many cars too little time!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk