News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 16, 2022, 11:05:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Question and Answer / Re: Towing an Eagle
« Last post by Longhunter on Yesterday at 04:34:20 PM »
OK understood. Thank you guys for the options. I think just to be safe I am going to put it on a trailer. Rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again,
                     Longhunter
Canoe; 
So i figured out that the 2.73 number is wrong.  Everything listed is 2.72 so i'm not sure where the 2.73 is coming from, maybe the rear axle number?  Like with Jeeps the 3.54 is sometimes listed as 3.55 for some reason even though the tag says 3.54.
My bad if i caused any confusion, you should be fine swapping in 3.08 or 3.54

Paul Revere;  Sorry for hijacking your thread
... Canoe:  from how i understand the info, your axle should accept the 3.08 or 3.54 gear ratio because of the carrier in it.
             EDIT;  ..... unless there IS a difference between the 2.73 and 2.72, are you sure its 2.72?
Tag says 2.72... I guess emphasis should be on 'says'.
The housing was changed to fit the 2.35 gear ratio, they set the pinion farther away from the carrier and thus were able to use  the standard carrier for the 2.35 with that huge pinion gear.   So going to a lower (higher numerically) ratio requires a unique carrier ... in all the info on here i have not seen anyone try a D30 carrier for 5.13 or lower ratios. (does such a thing exist without a ring gear spacer?)

Canoe:  from how i understand the info, your axle should accept the 3.08 or 3.54 gear ratio because of the carrier in it.
             EDIT;  ..... unless there IS a difference between the 2.73 and 2.72, are you sure its 2.72?
Exhaust System. / Re: Eagle wagon exhaust
« Last post by Canoe on May 13, 2022, 11:25:07 AM »
... I rolled the dice on a tail pipe for a '99 xj and sure as the day is long, it fits like a dream! Just like it was made for it🤔
Fantastic!
Do you have a brand & part number for that?
(I'm carrying my old 'holy' one around in the rear to show police that I know, but can't get the part.)
Oh. And diameter?

Exhaust System. / Re: Eagle wagon exhaust
« Last post by 86erfixer on May 12, 2022, 09:26:56 PM »
Soooooo in the spirit of all the xj parts I've thrown at my wagon I said to heck with it. For $60 I rolled the dice on a tail pipe for a '99 xj and sure as the day is long, it fits like a dream! Just like it was made for it🤔
Hatchlings / Re: Eagle landed in my driveway
« Last post by MIPS on May 12, 2022, 03:11:17 PM »
Yeah even used some of those parts are starting to be worth something. I've seen a few places that changed the rules on older vehicle emissions (no annual testing required but now all specced hardware must be installed to pass a visual inspection) and now that bits like the formed hoses and valves are not being made it's up to whoever hoarded these bits to get it working again.
Hatchlings / Re: Eagle landed in my driveway
« Last post by Bluevan on May 11, 2022, 08:10:42 PM »
Softbuster, this Eagle does indeed have a 2.35 gear ratio.  It has 96000 miles on it and I believe has the original cat.  The air tube going to it was rusted off so it was creating a leak and I suspected that it could be a blockage issue so I took it out and replaced with a piece of straight pipe.    It did not really make a huge difference, but the more I drive the car the better it seems to get.  At some point I will put a new high flow cat under there.  This car is not going to win any races but it works great for cruising around.  Been getting lots of compliments.

MIPS, thanks for the diagram.  Now I can remove the rest of that stuff and clean up under the hood a bit.  I will keep it all if someday a future owner wants to (or has to) put it all back.
Electrical / Re: RetroSound stereo install in 84 wagon
« Last post by cornut on May 11, 2022, 07:07:45 PM »
What he did was trace the existing brackets and made them slightly oversized to cover the opening the factory mounts left. He used a heat gun to soften the ABS to form to the door. After that he used some PVC foam tape to make a good seal. I sent him this link in case he wants to undergo pulling the door panel to snap a pic. He enlarged the hole in the door panel to accept the larger speaker, the speaker grills cover that/rest on the door panel itself to hide the hole that was cut.

If he's up for taking the panel off, he's in the process of moving out of state so it might be a bit before he has time to show how they're mounted, we'll definitely get a pic of the speakers installed though. We live in different states but I was there over the weekend helping with the install.
Electrical / Re: RetroSound stereo install in 84 wagon
« Last post by vangremlin on May 11, 2022, 02:19:40 PM »
Very cool!  Do you have any pictures of the speaker mounts in the doors?  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk