News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well nuts replaced for roof rack...still leaking  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Hoping to get my wagon back to a daily driver.
Well nuts replaced for roof rack...still leaking
« on: July 08, 2022, 03:46:34 PM »
So I swapped out the original well nuts for the stock roof rack on my 84 Wagon because my headliner was getting wet on both sides of the vehicle. All the well nuts were brittle and falling apart.

The original well nuts that came off the wagon didn't have a hole for the bolt to pass all the way through...but the new ones I ordered do. I put some silicone on the threads of the nut to prevent any water moving through threads.

One side of the wagon stays dry now and one side still has a minor wet spot showing up.

Any other tips or tricks for sealing these things up? Clearly more silicone is required, but looking for any thoughts on what has worked well for others.

Not a great way to mount a rack in my opinion, but at the same time I used to be able to order well nuts for an old Cherokee of mine that didn't have a hole all the way through it..so maybe I just keep hunting for better well nuts.

I'm getting a new headliner installed so I'd love to solve this before getting that work done.

Here is the link to the well nuts I ordered:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0040CZ3R4

Cheers and happy driving everyone!
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon (donor) - parted out and sold

Next up - Holley Sniper BBD swap - then I'll throw a Carter BBD smashing party

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Well nuts replaced for roof rack...still leaking
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »
Are you positive it's a leaking well nut? With the headliner out, sit inside while you have someone with a hose spraying the outside.

My eagle had leaks around the roof chrome strips and another far more baffling leak that was in the drip rail above the passenger door that was appearing above the passenger side visor. The way they welded the top of the A-pillar together must be really weird. When I dropped the headliner I ended up putting silicon on anything that was coming through the roof and the leaks stopped.
I had two well nuts go bad as well and didn't even know there's a version that don't put the threads all the way through. I just put silicone on the threads like you did, plus around the edge of the opening in the roof as I dropped them in.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:13:40 PM by MIPS »

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »
Well now you've got me wondering.

I'm in the process of pulling parts off of a donor 1986 Eagle Wagon and I was shocked to see that those chrome strips on top of the roof are attached through holes in the roof. I assumed they were just taped down or something.

So now, I'm thinking I need to do what you did. I'll let the upholsterer know to call me when the headliner is out so I can get in there with some silicone.

Seems like even for the 80's it was a bad idea to drill holes in the roof and attach those strips...that's a lot of opportunity for leaks.

Thanks for the reply MIPS!

Are you positive it's a leaking well nut? With the headliner out, sit inside while you have someone with a hose spraying the outside.

My eagle had leaks around the roof chrome strips and another far more baffling leak that was in the drip rail above the passenger door that was appearing above the passenger side visor. The way they welded the top of the A-pillar together must be really weird. When I dropped the headliner I ended up putting silicon on anything that was coming through the roof and the leaks stopped.
I had two well nuts go bad as well and didn't even know there's a version that don't put the threads all the way through. I just put silicone on the threads like you did, plus around the edge of the opening in the roof as I dropped them in.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 08:22:14 PM »
The strips protect the roof from scratches when you put something in the luggage rack but like all the other trim it's heck to remove if you ever want to get the car repainted and means pulling the interior.

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 08:15:30 PM »
Thanks Mips, I wanted to post an update.

I had a parts car that I stripped and I pulled off those chrome strips from the roof. Each of them popped off easily with one of those smaller drywall mud spreaders. Mine were held down with some plastic clips and just snapped off. Not sure if other strips are installed with metal clips or not, if so those might be tougher to remove.

I plan on painting my roof at some point and will pull off those chrome strips  and then use 3m tape to put them back...which should also cover up those holes too. I've never seen a car roof with so many factory holes in it. LOL

Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk