News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:13:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loose Electric Mirror (Driver's side)  (Read 1277 times)

Offline bramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Loose Electric Mirror (Driver's side)
« on: April 05, 2022, 12:15:45 PM »
My outside mirror is very wobbly. It's where the "post" meets the "body" of the mirror. Maybe even a rotten/missing gasket between the two. I can see a screw head that I'd LOVE to tighten but I don't think I can access it without prying the glass out and possibly even removing the motor. If I had a resource for new glass I'd go ahead and break it out but it seems like the only ones readily available are for manual or cable remote (if there's even a difference). Is this a common problem and if so are there any thoughts on repairs? Thank you.
1985 Eagle Wagon Limited
Auto, PW, PM, Gauges, Leather

Offline Paul Revere

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Loose Electric Mirror (Driver's side)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 01:24:10 AM »
Reading your post made me wonder too how to fix this problem, I remember it being a problem on the 88 town car I had. check out this video, I'm pretty sure the mirrors are built similar to the caddy ones.
 https://youtu.be/VLD7ccn3GVo

I'll let more knowlagable eagle owners speak up about the glass, but I'm pretty sure the glass is all the same size and just sticks to the Motorola cable adjustment with a adhesive pad.

Offline bramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 07:29:15 AM »
That looks EXACTLY like the Eagle mirror. I'm going to give that a go. Thanks so much for taking the time and sending the link.
1985 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Paul Revere

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 05:20:57 PM »
Let me know if it works!! Good to know that Caddy mirrors might be direct replacements! they are much more available.

Offline bramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 04:20:12 PM »
They really might be! At the very least everything aligned with the video which was a huge help. My big issue now is the previous owner (or a mechanic) somehow tapped a screw up through the inside of the post (next to the second one which was correct), probably because the didn't know how to remove the mirror. So the second hole is stripped.  I am VERY close to discreetly applying J-B Weld as a last-ditch effort hoping it might do the trick.
1985 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Paul Revere

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 05:20:59 AM »
You could pack some J B weld in the hole and screw in a screw to sort of tap it again to undo the stripping.
Another option is to just tap it at a bigger size and install a bigger screw. once both screws are out it looks like you can sort of flop aside the housing and get a straight shot to tap the stripped hole in the post.

They apparently make aftermarket mirrors for the caddies, so this might work for you if you can't get the hole recapped.
it's at autozone so you could return if it doesn't fit, but if it does we just figured out how to save all electric mirror eagle owners a lot if cash lol.
https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/mirror-assembly/p/k-source-mirror-assembly-62525g/27204_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:15062016444&gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjvq-dvfBHuAbFRNghS4nzQA3f4Fuvob6zjfvZHakRmf_0QsRla3erBoC_xUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:43:08 AM by Paul Revere »

Offline bramc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 07:16:09 AM »
I have successfully fixed the mirror (I hope). J-B Weld Steel Stick placed into the stripped hole, then gently turning a screw into it before it fully cured to create threads. I let that cure then carefully glued the post to the mirror housing with J-B Weld Kwik Weld (it sets up much faster so I could quickly apply it as it became a firmer paste-like consistency. Then re-attached the screws. It's very solid.

For those attempting a similar fix, the video Paul linked to a Cadillac mirror fix was indispensable. Getting to the three hidden screws behind the glass that holds the motor is something i never would have attempted with the glass still in place. Also, accessing the two screws that hold the mirror housing on requires a special screwdriver that can bend. And "man-handling" the mirror glass to its limit as the motor clicks is scary. I'm amazed that little motor survived but it did.

It appears the Eagle chrome electric mirror body is the exact same as a 70s Cadillac Eldorado (and others) to where I would search for those parts if i became desperate. Instead of the AMC embossed logo it has a Cadillac logo which is too bad but I'll bet the glass and motor are the same. The post is definitely different without exposed screws.
1985 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Paul Revere

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 08:35:31 AM »
I have successfully fixed the mirror (I hope). J-B Weld Steel Stick placed into the stripped hole, then gently turning a screw into it before it fully cured to create threads. I let that cure then carefully glued the post to the mirror housing with J-B Weld Kwik Weld (it sets up much faster so I could quickly apply it as it became a firmer paste-like consistency. Then re-attached the screws. It's very solid.

For those attempting a similar fix, the video Paul linked to a Cadillac mirror fix was indispensable. Getting to the three hidden screws behind the glass that holds the motor is something i never would have attempted with the glass still in place. Also, accessing the two screws that hold the mirror housing on requires a special screwdriver that can bend. And "man-handling" the mirror glass to its limit as the motor clicks is scary. I'm amazed that little motor survived but it did.

It appears the Eagle chrome electric mirror body is the exact same as a 70s Cadillac Eldorado (and others) to where I would search for those parts if i became desperate. Instead of the AMC embossed logo it has a Cadillac logo which is too bad but I'll bet the glass and motor are the same. The post is definitely different without exposed screws.

Do you mean where it bolts to the door is different? if that's the case, THe ford version is most likely what they used, they have studs that stick out form the mirror post and go into the body where you secure with nuts. Any 80s Crown vic./Grand marquis with electric mirrors would work. Lincoln might work too but the drivers has the Outside thermometer built in so you'll get an added bonus function. I know they use the same 4 wire connecter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk