News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Broken down!! Ignition module or??  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Dubv

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Broken down!! Ignition module or??
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »
I've had a very similar experience with my '84 wagon over the past 3-4 months.  Replaced all the things you've mentioned, and still getting the intermittent stall/ignition failure after 30-45 minutes of driving.  I'm going to investigate those wires on the coil "horseshoe" more closely....see if maybe thats a culprit.

Its so frustrating because unless I'm out for a longer drive...everything seems fine, and then...its not.  ICM, Coil, Pickup Coil, ignition wires, cap, rotor, checking all the under hood electrical connections, etc etc...

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 09:47:09 PM »
I feel your pain!!!
It was such a random thing!!   Frustrating to diagnose!!!

I think I got a replacement horseshoe connector on eBay for less than 5 bucks??
I used "duraspark coil connector" as a search, if I recall... 
It came with about 6" of wire attached..  Just had to cut, solder and heat shrink into
the original coil wiring!

Had your wagon sat unused for a really long time??
As mentioned earlier, could it be crud in the fuel tank clogging up the strainer??
When I had that problem, the car would run just fine for awhile, and then just
sputter and die!!
It would sit for a bit, and then I guess the crud would fall off the strainer back into
the bottom of the tank, and all would be well!!!   For another little while!!   ::)

Keep us posted, please!!   Always interested in hearing solutions to this sort of issue!!!

Offline Dubv

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 09:51:40 PM »
No, mine gets driven a lot...I actually had the fuel tank cleaned out a couple years ago as it was getting "gunk" on the strainer.  I did a test with a timing light awhile back and its definitely losing spark when it dies...

I'll have to check around the "horseshoe"...maybe apply a little indirect heat to see if I can recreate it failing when it gets warm after driving awhile.  We'll see!  I'm tired of this problem!

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
When I was researching the issue, I read that a lot of Ford guys didn't care too much
for the Duraspark horseshoe connector...

Complaints were mostly about the contacts of the horseshoe not making solid contact
with the pins on the coil....

So I guess that's something to check!

In my case, it wasn't until a buddy jiggled the wires leading to the horseshoe while I was
cranking, that I realized that was where my intermittent issue was!
And it wasn't right AT the horseshoe, either!!
It was in the wire about an inch out!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk